- Best Car Gun Safes (Updated List)
- 1 – Gunbunker GS-1 Vehicle Gun Safe
- 2 – SnapSafe Combination Lock Box
- 3 – Bulldog Cases Car Gun Safe
- 4 – SentrySafe Portable Pistol Safe
- 5 – GunVault NV200 Vehicle Gun Safe
- 6 – SentrySafe PP1 Portable Pistol Safe
- 7 – Gunvault MV500-STD Microvault Pistol Gun Safe
- 8 – FortKnox FTK-PB Pistol Box Handgun Safe
- 9 – First Alert 5100K Small Gun Safe
- 10 – SnapSafe Lock Box
- Vehicle Gun Safe Buying Guide
- Benefits Of Using A Car Gun Safe
- How To Install A Gun Safe In Your Car?
Do you care about your gun no matter when you leave it in your car? I guess so. Many places require you by law to keep your gun locked in a safe whether the weapon is being stored at home or you carry a gun while you’re traveling. Kids using weapons to harm others and self-inflicted gunshot wound cases are on the rise. Gun theft is also a big problem and is getting to be a more major problem every day. This list is compiled of best car gun safes. Here below are the car gun safe reviews manufactured by a range of companies, different price brackets, and alternatives. We are sure you will come up with a decision that fits your vehicle.
- Gunbunker GS-1 Vehicle Gun Safe
- SIZE 7.36 x 1.2” x 5”
- PRICE $$$$
- Weight : 5 pounds
- Material : 16Ga powder-coated steel
- Access Options : 2 Dimple keys and security cable
- SnapSafe Combination Lock Box
- SIZE 10 x 2 x 7 inches
- PRICE $$
- Weight : 3.5 pounds
- Material : Heavy-duty 16Ga steel
- Access Options : 3-digit owner-set combination
- Bulldog Cases Car Gun Safe
- SIZE 8.7 x 6 x 2.5 inches
- PRICE $
- Weight : 4 pounds
- Material : Steel
- Access Options : Key locked
- SentrySafe Portable Pistol Safe
- SIZE 10.1 x 11.3 x 3.4 inches
- PRICE $$$
- Weight : 7.5 pounds
- Material : Solid steel construction
- Access Options : Keyed Lock
- GunVault NV200 Vehicle Gun Safe
- SIZE 9.5 x 6.5 x 1.5 inches
- PRICE $$
- Weight : 3 pounds
- Material : 18 Gauge steel construction
- Access Options : Key lock system
Best Car Gun Safes (Updated List)
1 – Gunbunker GS-1 Vehicle Gun SafeThe Gunbunker GS-1 is a heavy-duty safe made out of 16Ga powder-coated steel. This model can be mounted horizontally or vertically, and its interior is lined with protective foam that will keep your handguns from getting scratched during the transport.
This safe’s lock is opened by two high-security dimple keys. You can either secure the safe with the security cable or use screws to mount it into your car, making it very solid against burglars.
We were impressed by the safe’s quality. The provided security cable is strong, the interior foam padding is thick and prevents the pistol from moving around, and the black powder coating is evenly spread on the safe’s surface. The safe’s spring-loaded door will stay close even when the safe is unlocked, so it’s easy to access.
- Fits A Glock 19 Plus Ammo – This safe is large enough to fit a Glock 19 and an additional ammo mag beside it.
- Short – This is a good car safe, but it would be better if it were a little longer. As it is, it can barely hold a Shield
2 – SnapSafe Combination Lock BoxThe SnapSafe combination lock box is constructed out of heavy-duty 16Ga steel, and it comes with a 1,500 lbs security cable that can increase its safety. This model comes with a steel combination lock that will require a 3-digit combination to open.
We were impressed by the safe’s combination lock. Despite the fact that the lock only needs a 3-digit combination to open, a person who doesn’t know the combination might spend hours trying different combinations without opening it. The lock is easy to program and reset, and you should be able to punch in the right combination in the case of an emergency.
As far as the safe’s storage capacity is concerned, this model is large enough to hold a Glock 19 and a spare magazine. Thanks to the safe’s interior foam lining, your handgun will stay firmly in place, and it will also be protected from scratches.
- No Keys – This safe comes with a combination lock, so you won’t need any keys to open it, facilitating your access.
- Foam Falls Out – The foam on the safe’s lid can fall out when you lift the lid.
3 – Bulldog Cases Car Gun SafeThe Bulldog Cases portable safe has a heavy-duty construction and it comes with all the hardware you need for its installation. This model comes with a mounting bracket that gives you the possibility to install it anywhere in your car, but you can also secure it using the 3’ security cable.
One of the things we liked about this model is that it’s easy to install. When you screw the mounting bracket into your car’s deck, the safe will maintain its position, making it impossible to remove. This is a great way to make sure that nobody can steal your protection pistol.
Another good thing about this model is that it will fit a Glock 26 perfectly. As a matter of fact, this safe is large enough to accommodate 2 extra magazines beside the pistol, so you will have access to a lot of ammunition.
- Good Key Lock – The safe’s key lock works flawlessly, and it will grant you easy access to your firearm
- Cable Is Attached To Lid – The cable seems durable, but it’s attached to the safe’s lid. It would have been better if the cable was attached to the safe’s body
4 – SentrySafe Portable Pistol SafeThe SentrySafe portable safe is a high-quality model that can be easily attached to your car’s console or truck. This unit has a sturdy frame and it comes with a strong security cable you can use to attach it to the frame of your front seats or to secure it in the trunk.
One of the things we liked about this model is that it provides an easy access to your handgun. The safe’s lock can be opened using a key, and the door opens quietly once you open the lock.
As far as the safe’s storage capacity is concerned, this model is large enough to accommodate a Glock 19 or a 4” semi-automatic with an attached light. The safe’s interior comes with a thick foam padding. The padding will keep your pistol from moving around during the transport, and it will also protect it from scratches.
- Has A Handle – This portable safe comes with a handle, so you can carry it easily when you have to
- Security Cable Could Be Longer – The safe’s security cable would be more useful if it were longer.
5 – GunVault NV200 Vehicle Gun SafeThe GunVault NV200 is one of the most popular gun car safes currently available on the market. This model is constructed out of 18 Ga steel, and it comes with a key-operated lock and a 1,500-pound security cable that make it very efficient against burglars.
One of the things we liked about this model is that it’s large enough to hold a Glock 19 and a spare magazine. Thanks to the good padding offered by the foam lining, both the magazine and the pistol will stay firmly in place during the transport, and they won’t get scratched even if they somehow manage to move.
Another good thing about this model is that it’s TSA-approved, so you use it to secure your handgun when you travel by plane. You can either use the provided security cable to secure the gun safe to one of your car’s seats or to secure it to your checked luggage when you travel by plane.
- Can Hold A 1911 Single Stack – This safe is large enough to hold a 1911 single stack.
Safe’s Interior Smells – The safe’s interior smells bad, so you might want to open it and leave it in a well-ventilated room before you start using it.
- SENTRYSAFE PP1 PORTABLE PISTOL SAFE
- SIZE 6.6 x 9.7 x 2.2 inches
- PRICE $$$$
- Weight : 12.2 pounds
- Material : Solid steel construction
- Access Options : 4 Fingerprints
- GUNVAULT MV500-STD MICROVAULT PISTOL GUN SAFE
- SIZE 11 x 8.5 x 2.2 inches
- PRICE $$$
- Weight : 5 lbs
- Material : 16 gauge steel exterior construction
- Access Options : 120 Fingerprints
- FORTKNOX FTK-PB PISTOL BOX HANDGUN SAFE
- SIZE 10.2 x 12.5 x 4.5 inches
- PRICE $$$$$
- Weight : 22 lbs
- Material : Constructed of a rugged 10 gauge body
- Access Options : 1081 user combinations
- First Alert 5100K Small Gun Safe
- SIZE 1 x 9 x 7 inches
- PRICE $$
- Weight : 3.5 pounds
- Material : Powder-coated 18-gauge steel
- Access Options : 2 entry keys
- SnapSafe Lock Box
- SIZE 9.5"x6.5"x1.75"
- PRICE $
- Weight : About 3 lbs.
- Material : Heavy-duty 16 Ga steel
- Access Options : 2 entry keys
6 – SentrySafe PP1 Portable Pistol SafeSentry is a well-respected company and is well-known for the quality of safe they produce. The PP1K only has a key entry, so you don’t have to worry about the battery in a keypad going dead when you need to enter the safe. This safe will hold two pistols or one pistol and extra magazine. It has a one-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- You can use this safe in or out of your vehicle.
- The door and hinges are pry-resistant.
- The inside of the safe is lined with high compression foam to keep your guns and valuables from being damaged.
- This safe is approved by the California Department of Justice. This safe is placed in our top picks of gun safe reviews.
- Doesn’t have keyless entry. Have extra keys made so you won’t have to worry about losing your key and losing access to enter your safe?
- Won’t hold extra magazines for your pistols if you store two guns in the safe. Lock the spare magazines in a glove compartment in your car if you plan on storing two guns in the safe.
- The tether cable can easily be cut, and the safe stolen by a thief. Place the safe in a spot that is out of sight like under the seat if you are traveling.
7 – Gunvault MV500-STD Microvault Pistol Gun SafeThe NV-500 is a lightweight safe weighing only five pounds. It is made of twenty gauge steel. It has a foam lining to protect your pistols and valuables from scratches. It has keyless entry, but it also comes with two override keys. The safe comes with a one-year limited repair or replaces warranty.
- In the event, you can’t access the safe using the keypad it comes with two override keys.
- The lock is impossible to pry open with hand tools.
- The keypad is designed so you can unlock the safe in complete darkness.
- It has a foam lining to protect your guns from being damaged.
- The battery is eternal so you can’t enter the safe with the keypad if the battery goes dead. Keep the override key close by, so you will always have a way to open the safe whether you are at home or traveling.
- The buttons do not match the spread of your fingers. Practice opening the safe with the keypad in case you have to open the safe quickly.
8 – FortKnox FTK-PB Pistol Box Handgun SafeFort Knox Gun Safes manufacture the FTK-PB. The safe exceeds the CA Firearms Safety Device Requirements. It is equipped with a simple mechanical lock. The lock is user-friendly with 1081 user combinations. It also has a one-year warranty on the lock. It will hold two large pistols or one gun and an extra magazine.
- The safe has gas struts to hold the door open.
- The safe has holes in the bottom so it can be bolted down.
- The Simplex lock is weather resistant.
- You do not need batteries for this safe.
- The top and bottom of the safe is padded but the sides aren’t. You can apply some cheap adhesive foam to the sides of the safe.
- Resetting the combination is confusing. Write down the combination and store it in a secret location.
- Fort Knox gun safes do not come with easily understood. The best way to get clear instructions that are easy to understand is in a YouTube Fort Knox video from a previous owner of a Fort Knox Safe.
9 – First Alert 5100K Small Gun SafeThe First Alert 5100K portable safe is constructed out of durable 18Ga steel and has a black powder-coated finish that protects it from rust when you travel in humid environments.
This model comes with a 1,500-pound steel cable that allows you to attach it to your car trunk or to your glove box if the latter is large enough. The safe has a foam-padded interior that will keep your handguns scratch-free, and that will protect them from damage when they move around in the case.
One of the things we liked about this model is that it’s TSA-approved. This will give you the opportunity to use the safe when traveling by plane. Moreover, you will be able to secure the safe to your luggage with the help of the steel cable.
Despite the fact that the safe is not particularly large, it will hold a compact pistol and two or three magazines without any problems.
- TSA Approved – This portable gun safe is TSA-approved, so you can use it to secure your pistol in your checked luggage when traveling by plane
- Could Be Bigger – The safe is not particularly large, so any handgun larger than a compact will not fit inside it
10 – SnapSafe Lock BoxThe SnapSafe lock box is made out of heavy-duty 16 Ga steel. This model comes with thick protective foam inserts that will keep your handgun and ammunition from moving during the transport and protect them from scratches.
One of the things we liked about this model is that it’s large enough to hold not one, but two compact pistols and some ammunition. This will allow you to transport your handguns with ease and pack a lot of ammo if you store a single handgun in it.
The safe also comes with a 1,500-pound steel cable that gives you the possibility to secure it to your car, making the lockbox a semi-permanent addition to your vehicle.
This model is large enough to fit a full-sized pistol, and it adheres to the TSA traveling regulations, so you can take it with you when you travel by plane.
- Fits Full-Sized Pistol – This model is large enough to fit a full-sized pistol and some ammunition
- Thin Interior Padding – The safe’s interior padding is thin and it feels cheap.
Vehicle Gun Safe Buying Guide
Gun security is the utmost responsibility of every gun owner. These top selected vehicle gun safes will keep your concealed carry firearm away from children when you get out of the car, and protected from burglars when they target your vehicle.
Despite the fact that they have small and compact designs, portable gun safes are not easy to break into, making them valuable additions to your vehicle’s security. Moreover, these lock boxes can be used with good results to store jewelry, important documents, and money besides your pistol.
In the following article, we take a look at some of the most popular safes you can install in your car and reveal their pros and cons. Further, in the article, we reveal the must-have features you should look for when buying a safe, and explain the benefits of installing such a unit in your car.
What To Look For?
Choosing the best car gun safe might seem difficult at times. There are a lot of similar models available on the market, and it’s sometimes difficult to tell which is good and which is average. To help you with your decision making, we decided to explain how the safe’s features can influence your experience. Here are some of the features you should look for in a portable safe
- Size – A portable safe should be small enough to carry comfortably but large enough to hold your handgun. You should always make sure to check the safe’s measurements before deciding on a model. Most people who install a gun safe in their vehicle hide it under one of the front seats, so you should also check the safe’s height beside its length and width. A small gun safe will also be easier to conceal inside your vehicle, and it will also be easier to secure, but you might find it impossible to store a full-sized handgun in a small safe. On the other hand, a large safe might be more difficult to conceal, but it will provide enough storage space to hold a full-sized pistol and some spare ammunition besides. In the end, choosing the safe’s size can also be a matter of preference.
- Construction – A reliable gun safe has to have a strong construction. Even though most gun safe manufacturers use steel for the safe’s outer shell, you should make sure that all the components in the safe’s construction are made out of high-quality materials. After all, the safe is only as good as its weakest link, and if that weak link is made out of cheap plastic, it might mean that the safe is not strong at all.
The steel’s thickness is also something you should check before deciding on a model. When it comes to the steel’s thickness, the lower the Ga value of the steel, the thicker it will be.
- Locking Mechanism – The safe’s locking mechanism is one of the most important components of the safe. Most burglars will try to break the lock instead of punching a hole in the safe’s shell, so the lock is the most vulnerable point in the safe. Let’s see which are the most popular types of locks and the pros and cons of using them.
- Biometric Locks – Some popular car safe models use biometric locks. And while these locks seem very technologically advanced, in reality, they might be more troublesome than helpful. One of the major advantages of using a biometric gun safe that comes with a biometric lock is that you can open it quickly when you’re in a rush. You don’t need to punch in a code or to fumble with the keys to open it, you only have to press your finger against the scanner and the door will open. One of the downsides of using such a locking mechanism is that it’s not always reliable.
Despite the fact that most biometric scanners can memorize 20 fingerprints or more, they do not always work. So you might have the surprise to press your finger on the scanner without it recognizing it. Another downside of using such a scanner is that it needs batteries to run. Sure, some models use long-lasting rechargeable batteries, but you will still need to take them out of the car and recharge them once in a while.
- Electronic Locks – Electronic locks are becoming more efficient, and safes that use them are gaining popularity. One of the advantages of using an electronic lock is that it’s very user-friendly. You don’t need any keys or to rotate tumblers to open this type of lock. You only need to memorize an access code and to punch it in when you want to open the safe. Some models come with rechargeable batteries, while others come with rechargeable batteries and an AC Adapter that will ensure the safe is powered and secured at all times. The downside of using a safe that comes with an electronic lock is that there is a risk of running out of batteries. If this happens, you will find yourself locked out of your own gun safe.
- Keyed Locks – Keyed safe boxes use locks that need a key to open. Some of them use traditional keys, while others use round-shaped keys, but all of them offer similar advantages and disadvantages. Keyed locks offer a safe and reliable way to open your safe. You can always have a key close at hand, and opening the safe’s door is easy enough. However, even if it’s easy to open the door using a key, that doesn’t mean it’s a quick process. If you’re in a dangerous situation and you have to reach your handgun very quickly, your hand might shake or you might drop the keys. On the other hand, keyed locks are reliable. They don’t need power or electricity to run, and they rarely get jammed.
- Padlocks – Some safe boxes rely on padlocks to secure their content. Padlocks are generally safe and difficult to break, but you need some space to be able to install and open them. The downside of using a padlock is that you will have to rotate the tumblers to reach the correct combination, a process that might not be exactly quick.
- Mechanical Combination Lock – Safes that use mechanical combination locks are a great way to secure your gun inside a vehicle. These locks are sturdy and reliable, and breaking them takes a lot of time. As far as guessing the right combination, a 3-digit lock has about 1,000 possible codes, so the person trying to break it can spend hours guessing combinations without actually succeeding. The downside of using this lock type is that you will have to rotate the tumblers until you find the right combination every time you want to open the safe. If you’re in a dangerous situation, finding the right combination might take some valuable time.
- Anchorage – Car gun safes are not overly large and heavy, and the easiest way for a burglar to break into it would be to remove it from your car and open it at a remote location. This is why you should always anchor the safe in the trunk of your car or in the car’s console. Some safe models come with pre-drilled holes you can use to anchor them to your vehicle using screws, and most of them come with security cables you can use to attach the safe to one of your car seats. One of the accessories that can be really helpful when you want to anchor your safe in your car is an anchor sleeve. Some safe manufacturers produce anchor sleeves for their products, making them easier to install and secure.
Benefits Of Using A Car Gun Safe
Using a car gun safe can offer more benefits than you would imagine. Here is a list of some of the most important ones
- Respect The Law – Concealed carry laws are different for each state. However, most states require you don’t carry a firearm in certain places such as churches, schools, and federal buildings. So if you have to enter one of these building while you’re carrying, you’re actually breaking the law. Using a portable gun safe eliminates this problem altogether.
- Keeps Your Gun Safe – Any responsible gun owner knows that guns are not toys. Using a gun safe will keep your firearm away from children and the occasional burglary attempts. It’s true that even the best gun safes can be breached, but that doesn’t mean that somebody can open them quickly. In fact, most specialists recommend using a gun safe and a home alarm at the same time. So, if not even a full-sized gun safe can secure your firearm, what chances does a small portable model have?
Well, the main objective of using a car gun safe is to deter the burglar from quickly stealing your gun. Keep in mind that most gun safes under 1000$ can be unlocked in a matter of minutes by professionals, so car models won’t stand a chance in front of a professional. However, most car thefts don’t last too long. In fact, most car thieves take less than 3 minutes to steal from your car, so a safe will usually be considered an unnecessary hustle and it will be avoided by the thief.
- Suitable For Air Travel – You can’t take your gun with you on the plane, no matter where you’re heading. However, the TSA allows you to pack firearms in the checked luggage if they’re stored in secure cases that cannot be easily opened. This means you’ll be able to store the safe in your checked luggage and nobody will say anything. Moreover, you can use the safe’s security cable to attach the safe to your luggage to make sure your pistol isn’t lost during one of the security checks.
How To Install A Gun Safe In Your Car?
Installing a gun safe in your car is usually not a difficult process. There are two ways you can do this with good results. The first and safest way would be to screw in the safe somewhere in your car’s console. To do this, you will need a screwdriver, some screws, and a lot of patience. Here’s how you do it
- Unzip the cover placed over the spot you chose for the safe’s installation. Whether you chose to place the safe on the back of the front seats, the back of the rear seats so it would face the trunk, or on the roof of your car, there should be a way to remove the cover and to expose the metal construction.
- Set the close safe and make marks around its edges.
- Now use the anchorage sleeve or the open safe to mark the pre-drilled holes so you know where to drill
- Drill holes so you can install the metal sleeve or the safe itself. Make sure you don’t put too much pressure on the drill or you risk drilling holes in your seats or roof.
- Now comes the most difficult part of all the installation. You need to insert the screws from the back of the plate you drilled so they will face the sleeve or the safe.
- Put the cover over the screws and use a sharp blade to cut it, revealing the screws.
- Set the plate over the screws and then secure it using lock washers and nuts
- If the bolts stick out too much over the sleeve, you might have to use a saw to remove the excess. This won’t be a problem for the safes models that have pre-drilled holes
- Set the safe on the plate or sleeve. The safe should now be securely fastened to your car, giving you an easy access to your gun.
Here’s how you secure the safe to your car using the security cable:
- Wrap the cable around a fixed object, such as the bottom of your front seat.
- Put the cable’s big loop through the small loop
- Work the big loop so it will wrap around the latch post and drop under the hooks at the front of the chair
- Now insert the cable in the safe’s slot, and secure it using the nut it came with.
As you could see in our short reviews, the best car gun safes come in different shapes and sizes. However, no matter their differences, all the units we reviewed have one thing in common. They protect your gun from thieves, and they can keep it away from children.
Despite the fact that portable gun safes are not too difficult to steal or break into, most burglars will avoid doing so because that would take them too much time. A safe might seem like an appetizing target, but it’s usually a tough nut to crack for an amateur.
Installing a safe in your car will allow you to store your concealed carry gun in a safe place when you can’t actually carry it, and it will give you the opportunity to have a defensive weapon always close at hand when you drive.
Even though it will take time a criminal can crack a safe but they will be less likely to steal a whole safe to find out what is inside. With that being said, your valuables and guns are more guarded in a safe while you are traveling other than just locked inside the car. There is also a bigger chance that your weapon will be stolen if someone enters the car if it isn’t in a locked safe. Most people choose mechanical dials because they are simple, and most mechanical locks are trouble-free, but electric locks are quicker to unlock if you need your gun for self-defense. The main two benefits you will receive by keeping your gun in a safe is that the weapon will be out of sight to thieves and children can’t get their hands on the loaded weapon.
Hope you enjoyed well-selected car gun safes’ reviews. Feel free to comment!