Last Updated: by
You can protect your guns from a thief with most gun safes, but not all of them will protect your weapons from fire if your house goes up in flames. Would you want to come home and see that all of your possessions are gone? None of us want that. You can store your firearms, valuable belongings, or important papers inside a fireproof safe so they will be there even if your house goes up in flames. This is a list of some of the best fireproof gun safes on the market. They will save you money in the end if something does happen. Fire resistant safes cost about as much as one gun. Would you rather lose all of your weapons or make a small investment to save your prized possessions? These safes range in price and size so you are sure to find one that will meet your budget and lifestyle.
Table of Contents
- Best Fireproof Gun Safe Reviews
- 1. Stack-On SS-22-MB-E 22 with Electronic Lock
- 2. LockState LS-30D Digital Fireproof Safe
- 3. SentrySafe SFW123DSB 1.23 Cubic Feet Combination Fire-Safe
- 4. Stack-On FS-24-MG-C 24- Gun Fire Resistant Safe / Combination Lock
- 5. First Alert 2096DF Waterproof Fire Safe with Digital Lock
- Things to Know About Fire Ratings
- Advantages of Owning a Fire Resistant Gun Safe
- Best Fireproof Gun Safe Comparison Chart
Best Fireproof Gun Safe Reviews
1. Stack-On SS-22-MB-E 22 with Electronic Lock
This safe has numerous excellent qualities you would trust to protect your possessions and it is also around the price of one gun. The safe holds up to twenty-two firearms, or you can store eleven guns with more room to store other valuables. This is great, right? The inside of the safe has a carpet lining so none of the valuables or firearms you store inside will get damaged. It has an electronic lock, and it gives you a warning if you enter the wrong entry code. You are probably worried about some prying the door open, correct? The safe has two-way locking. It has six locking points to make, so it is impossible for an intruder to pry open the door. If you still don’t think that is enough security it also has hidden hinges and steel deadbolts on the side for extra security purposes. The batteries that power the electronic keypad is included. If the batteries go dead, you can use the one of the backup keys that are included. The safe comes with two backup keys. The batteries shouldn’t go dead without you knowing before it happens since it has a low battery warning. The safe has a three-year limited warranty.
- The safe has six locking points and deadbolts on the side for extra protection that makes it impossible to be opened by an intruder.
- You can adjust the shelves to suit you.
- The electronic keypad has a silent mode if you would rather nobody hear it when the safes are being opened.
- The safe is big at 17.6×55.1×26.8 inches but only weighs 247 pounds.
- The carpet on the shelves isn’t glued down very well. You can always put a little extra glue on the bottom of the carpet to glue it down if it starts coming up over time.
- The clips that are used to mount the shelves are a little uneven. Most people won’t recognize this if they aren’t paying very close attention.
- The safe is a bit loud when you lock and unlock it. You can always put the safe on silent mode.
- At times, the safe comes out of silent mode by itself. Hit the silence button before you open the safe. This will only take a second and will guarantee that the safe doesn’t make a sound if you have an intruder in your home.
2. LockState LS-30D Digital Fireproof Safe
This safe is tiny, so it is excellent for storing small firearms such as handguns. You could also store small valuables or important papers inside. The safe is fireproof. It can withstand temperatures reaching 1800 Degrees Fahrenheit for up to one hour while keeping your possessions inside safe from the heat and flame. The safe is equipped with an Electronic thumb throw lock. You can program one master code and one user code to the safe. The entry codes can be three to eight digits. There is an interior button where you can reset the codes. You should reset the entry codes on your safe every few months to keep people from gaining access to your safe. If you do happen to forget the entry code to the safe, you can always open the safe with one of the override keys that are included. The safe comes with a one-year warranty in the event it is a defected safe, or it doesn’t hold up to what the company states.
- The keypad is illuminated so you can unlock the safe in complete darkness.
- You can mount the safe making it more secure in the event an intruder tries to snatch the whole safe. The hardware to mount the safe is included.
- The keypad is powered by batteries, but it has a power supply you can plug into an outlet for backup.
- The safe does have an alarm for extra security.
- The door has a little wobble when it is shut. This is common for safes. You can place Velcro around the inside of the door to stop the shaking if it makes you uncomfortable.
- There’s no silent button to silence the alarm or keypad beeps. You can always place an extra gun somewhere in your home if you want backup security from an intruder.
- The safe is not waterproof. Don’t store anything in the safe you want to protect from water damage.
- The safe is a bit heavy for its small safe.
3. SentrySafe SFW123DSB 1.23 Cubic Feet Combination Fire-Safe
Do you live in a dry area where wildfires are common? Do you live in a zone where it floods more than you would want? If you answered yes to these questions you are probably worried about some of your prized possessions being damaged, right? Well, this safe is for you. This safe has advanced fire protection. It is guaranteed to protect your possessions in temperatures up to 1700F/927C for at least one hour. It will also prevent CD’s or DVD’s from melting meaning it resists all the heat. The safe will also protect anything inside for twenty-four hours submerged in at least eight inches of water. There are no batteries required with this safe since it opens using a combination lock. You need the keys and combination to open the safe so nobody can gain entry if they only have one of the two. An intruder won’t be able to gain entry to the safe with it locked. The safe is equipped four large bolts and if that isn’t enough to satisfy you it is also fitted with hinge bar that makes it impossible for an intruder to pry the safe open. The safe comes with a manufacture’s limited warranty in the event it doesn’t withstand what the company says it will or you receive a safe that has defects.
- The safe has thick walls for more protection during a fire.
- Comes with bolts so you can bolt the safe down to prevent someone walking away with it while you are not home.
- There is a shelf inside that you can adjust. The safe has plenty of room when the shelf is inside so no need to remove it.
- Comes with insurance coverage in the event your possessions get fire damage.
- The insulation that makes the safe fireproof creates a small amount of moisture, and the warranty doesn’t include this moisture. Read the instructions that come with the safe to be sure you don’t store anything in the safe that can be damaged by moisture.
- You have to have the key and combination for the safe to open. Don’t use this safe for a firearm that you own for protection since you won’t have quick access to the gun if an intruder enters your home.
- The safe comes with a combination that cannot be changed by the buyer. Make sure you keep the combination somewhere that you are certain nobody will find it.
- The handle you use to open the safe feels as if it is cheaply made and would break easy. The instructions that come with the safe mentions this and tells you how to lift the handle to prevent it from being damaged.
4. Stack-On FS-24-MG-C 24- Gun Fire Resistant Safe / Combination Lock
This safe has plenty of room for your guns and other valuables. It can hold twenty-four firearms. If you need to store other possessions inside it will hold less than that. It also has four adjustable shelves for small items you wish to keep locked away. The inside of the safe is lined with carpet to prevent anything from being damaged. It has a three digit combination lock on the front. Many people don’t know that a combination safe can be broken into by drilling the combination lock. This safe is equipped with hardened steel behind the combination lock to prevent someone from using a drill to gain access. The safe was tested in a lab, and the company guarantees that it is fire resistant for up to thirty minutes in temperatures reaching 1400F. The safe comes with a limited lifetime guarantee and a limited five-year warranty. Compare this fire resistant safe with other gun safes from the same manufacturer in our Stack-On Gun safe reviews.
- There are four adjustable/removable shelves that make a good spot to store small valuables or ammunition.
- You don’t have to worry about batteries going dead or power going out like you would with a safe that has an electronic keypad.
- The safe is over five hundred pounds so an intruder can’t steal the safe and attempt to enter it later.
- If the safe is exposed to heat the door stripping will expand. This will prevent heat from entering the safe.
- The lugs that lock the safe goes behind the wall of the safe and doesn’t go into anything solid.
- The door has a little play in it as other safes do. The play in the door of this safe is mostly to allow the door stripping to expand when exposed to heat and doesn’t take away from the security of the safe.
- The safe is not waterproof. Don’t store anything in the safe that can be damaged by water.
5. First Alert 2096DF Waterproof Fire Safe with Digital Lock
This is an excellent fire proof pistol safe. The safe can be unlocked in the dark since the keypad has a backlight. If you forget the entry code, the safe comes with two override keys so you will always have access to the safe. It is fire resistant for up to an hour and UL Classified. The internal temperature will remain at 350 Degrees Fahrenheit during a fire. There is a seal around the door of the safe. This seal protects your possessions from water damage if the safe is fully submerged in water and prevents moisture from entering. This safe is much larger than most safes with such a low price, and the quality is as good as the more expensive safes. The safe will hold a few pistols and extra ammunition. The safe comes with a five-year limited warranty and a lifetime after-fire replacement.
- The safe cannot be entered unless you have the override key if the entry code is entered a few times incorrectly.
- The safe has two shelves that can be adjusted or removed depending on how much space you need.
- There is a compartment on the inside of the door for small items.
- You have to insert one of the keys after you enter the code for the safe to open. This makes it harder for someone to open the safe if he or she do happen to figure out the entry code.
- The safe cannot be entered quickly if an intruder enters your home. Keep an extra firearm somewhere for backup.
- The instructions to set the entry code is wrong in the manual. They have steps two and three backward.
- The shelf inside the safe is flimsy and won’t hold much weight. If you have small items that are a little on the heavy side, you should consider removing the shelf.
- The inside of the safe will accumulate moisture from like any other safe that is fire resistant. Don’t store anything inside the safe that will be damaged by a little moisture.
Things to Know About Fire Ratings
Most fireproof safes on the market don’t protect your possessions from a thief as good as you would want it to. You could always consider purchasing two safes. One for properties you wish to protect from theft and a fireproof safe to store anything you need for daily survival. Check out our Snapsafe reviews for other great options. I know this sounds like a lot, but you will be thankful, in the long run. You have probably searched the web looking at the fire rating of the safes, correct? You can’t always believe what the company says about the fire rating unless it has been tested in a lab using live fire. You also shouldn’t store ammunition in a fireproof safe. Your possessions will be protected from the flame but not the heat. The heat can exceed temperatures that can make ammunition fire off inside the safe. The ammunition will attract the heat since it contains gunpowder. You should look at the type of material a safe is constructed with to consider how fireproof the safe is. Usually, actual fireproof safes are made of cement or solid steel. Some companies claim that their safe is fireproof, but the inside walls are made of drywall. Most safes also keep the flames out, but the inside of the safe will reach extreme temperatures. A fireproof safe is usually expensive and is typically heavier than an ordinary safe since the fire-resistant material is made of hard material.
Advantages of Owning a Fire Resistant Gun Safe
A fire safe is a great investment. What will you do if you take prescription medicine and your house goes up in flames? Many people don’t think about this. You can store anything you need for daily survival in a fireproof safe so you will have it if you lose everything else. You can also store food and extra clothes inside the safe. Anything that will keep you alive for a few days is good for keeping in a fireproof safe. You have important papers or pictures that will be nearly impossible to replace, right? Well, a fireproof safe will keep your documents and pictures safe from a fire so you won’t have to worry about losing them anymore. We never know when our home may go up in flames when we are not home and with a fireproof safe you will have less to worry about. You can’t store everything you want inside but at least you will have the most important things in a safe place.
Best Fireproof Gun Safe Comparison Chart
|STACK-ON SS-22-MB-E 22 WITH ELECTRONIC LOCK||17.6 x 55.1 x 26.8 inches||$$$$||3 YEARS||30 minutes||22 Gun|
|LOCKSTATE LS-30D DIGITAL FIREPROOF SAFE||14.2 x 16.5 x 11.8 inches||$||1 YEARS||1 hour at 1800-Degree Fahrenheit||AA|
|SENTRYSAFE SFW123DSB 1.23 CUBIC FEET COMBINATION FIRE-SAFE||19.3 x 16.3 x 17.8 inches||$$||Manufactures Limited warranty||1 hour at 1700-Degree Fahrenheit||4 large 1-inch bolts - 60% bigger than traditional safes|
|STACK-ON FS-24-MG-C 24- GUN FIRE RESISTANT SAFE / COMBINATION LOCK||56 x 30 x 23.5 inches||$$$$$||5 YEARS||30 minutes up to 1400-Degree Fahrenheit||24 Gun|
|FIRST ALERT 2096DF WATERPROOF FIRE SAFE WITH DIGITAL LOCK||25 x 23 x 19 inches||$$$||5 YEARS||1 hour at 1700-Degree Fahrenheit||2.14 Cubic Foot|
This list of fireproof gun safe reviews features some of the best fire resistant safes you can purchase. Deciding which safe meets your demands and budget can be the hardest part of the process. This list will help you narrow down the possibilities so you will have more time enjoying than safe instead of spending all your time searching for the best fireproof gun safe.
There is a safe on here for you no matter if you have a big or small budget, and I have a full write up on the different types available here: shootingandsafety.com/best-gun-safe-reviews. There is also a mix between combination locks and electronic locks. Some people feel more confident with a combination lock since you never have to worry about the battery going dead when you need access.