How To Dehumidify A Gun Safe? After extended periods of time moisture will cause metals to rust and corrode. This can happen to your guns if you do not keep the moisture out of your safe. There are different types of ways to dehumidify a gun safe so you will have to find the one that meets your expectations.
There are two kinds of dehumidifiers on the market.
- Electric dehumidifier
- Desiccant dehumidifier
If you do not have an outlet near the safe or you, choose not to drill holes in the safe you can go with the desiccant dehumidifier. The desiccant dehumidifier is like a sponge. It will pull all the moisture from an enclosed area. A desiccant dehumidifier can be reused for several months if you choose a good brand. If you have an outlet near your safe or you do not mind drilling holes in your safe, you can always go with the electric dehumidifier. An electric dehumidifier is more popular among gun safe users. An electric dehumidifier does pull out moisture from within the safes tight corners, but you will have wires running from the safe, and they have to be plugged into a power source at all times. You can find the best dehumidifier whether you prefer to work with the desiccant dehumidifier, or you do not mind having holes drilled in the safe and would prefer the electric dehumidifier. They all perform the same task no matter that one you choose.
- LOCKDOWN DEHUMIDIFIER ROD
- PRICE $
- FUNCTIONS : Easy install quick plug attachment Dries approx
- PROS : Removes moisture from gun safe interior Slightly increasing and maintaining the air temperature inside your gun cabinet
- GOLDENROD ORIGINAL GUN SAFE DEHUMIDIFIER
- PRICE $
- FUNCTIONS : Coverage for up to 100 cu. Ft
- PROS : Lifetime warranty the most power of any dehumidifier on the market
- STACK-ON SPAD-100 WIRELESS RECHARGEABLE DEHUMIDIFIER
- PRICE $
- FUNCTIONS : Absorbs excess moisture Can pull moisture from 100 cubic feet
- PROS : No batteries required Designed with the usability and comfort
- BROWNING SAFES EVERDRY ELECTRIC DEHUMIDIFIER
- PRICE $
- FUNCTIONS : It removes humidity from the interior of a safe
- PROS : Cord is removable for installation without the electrical outlet
- CANNON SAFE SGD57 SILICA GEL DEHUMIDIFIER
- PRICE $
- FUNCTIONS : 57 cu feet protection
- PROS : Indicator system is built to signal when silica gel is saturated and needs reactivating
Lockdown Dehumidifier Rod
The Lockdown Dehumidifier Rod is electronic. It is available in different sizes so you can find one that fits in your safe. This dehumidifier circulates warm air throughout your safe. This keeps the humidity and condensation away, so your safe does not mildew. The dehumidifier comes with mounting brackets so it can be quickly mounted low inside your safe. The cord does not have the plug attached so you can cut the wire to the length that you want then connect the plug that is included. Highly recommended if you live in a humid environment.
- This dehumidifier releases only enough heat to keep it dry.
- This dehumidifier stays low to the floor of the safe, so it is out of your way at all times.
- Same great quality as Golden Rods but it is priced lower.
- Takes ten minutes to install.
- Gets too hot to touch. On the other hand, it does not get hot enough to cause a fire.
- The plug is cheaply made. You can purchase a better plug from a hardware store for a low price that is of better quality.
GoldenRod Original Gun Safe Dehumidifier
The GoldenRod Original Dehumidifier will cover an area of up to 100 cubic feet. The plug comes unattached from the cord making it easy to hookup. If you have holes drilled in your safe already, it will take around ten minutes to complete the setup. This dehumidifier will keep your safe around seventy degrees to keep the humidity down. Unlike many other dehumidifiers, you do not have to worry about this one getting too hot to touch. The company is sure you will love their guarantee, so their products have a lifetime warranty.
- Does not get too hot to touch.
- The GoldenRod Original Dehumidifier can drop the humidity to fifty percent that is considered museum quality.
- The legs that support the dehumidifier are not sturdy.
- You will have to get more than one if you have a large safe.
Stack-On SPAD-1500 Rechargeable Cordless DehumidifierThis will absorb the excess moisture from your safe or security cabinet. It is electronic but doesn’t require batteries. There is a moisture indicator on the front that will bring it to your attention that it needs to be recharged. After you charge the dehumidifier, it will absorb moisture for up to six weeks before it has to be recharged. It does take overnight to recharge the device.
- Requires no wires, so you will not have to drill holes in your safe.
- Has a moisture indicator on the front that is easy to read.
- Does not require batteries.
- It has to be recharged
- After recharging it will be too hot for you to touch it for at least thirty minutes.
Browning Safes Everdry Electric DehumidifierThis dehumidifier is eighteen inches long. It is intended to be used in safes thirty inches or larger. You can take the cord off to install it like many other dehumidifiers. Many people have said it works like a GoldenRod, but as you can see the price is a lot lower. Many electric dehumidifiers get too hot for you to hold. The Browning Safes Everdry Electric Dehumidifier can be held, but it will be a little uncomfortable to hold for more than a few seconds. The warranty depends on where you buy the product, but Browning will give you an extra one-year warranty when you register the product on their website.
- Does not get too hot to touch but it is a little uncomfortable to hold.
- It can be installed in approximately five minutes if you already have a hole in your safe to run the electrical cord through.
- You have to disconnect the whole cord before you install the dehumidifier instead of disconnecting the plug like most other brands.
- Many buyers have mentioned they have to use a desiccant dehumidifier along with this one.
Cannon Safe SGD57 Silica Gel DehumidifierThis dehumidifier prevents rust, corrosion, spoilage, and mildew. This particular dehumidifier only covers a space up to 57 cubic feet. Many of the other brands cover more area so you will need more than one of these for a large safe. A built-in indicator will let you know when the silica gel needs to be reactivated. The dehumidifier comes with a one-year warranty.
- It is non-toxic even though it has silica gel inside.
- You do not need batteries or an electrical outlet to reactivate the silica gel. You place it in the oven to revive the silica gel.
- Comes with a one-year warranty but the company states that it will give you a lifetime of protection.
- You will need another dehumidifier or more than one of these since it does not cover a significant
- You have to keep the dehumidifier in the oven for up to four hours to reactivate the silica gel. I would recommend using an electric one so the silica gel will last longer. Alternatively, you could use more than one of these models.
A dehumidifier is an accessory every gun owner needs to have installed. Of course, you need the best gun safe dehumidifier you can afford. It will protect your guns from rusting. It will also protect your safe from mildew and other things that can be harmful to your valuable collection. Many people have thousands of dollars’ worth of guns. If you are one of them people a few dollars to protect them is worth it. They also have different features so you can find the one that fits your needs whether you have a small or large safe.
Best Dehumidifiers Comparison Chart
|LOCKDOWN DEHUMIDIFIER ROD||$||Easy install quick plug attachment Dries approx||Removes moisture from gun safe interior Slightly increasing and maintaining the air temperature inside your gun cabinet|
|GOLDENROD ORIGINAL GUN SAFE DEHUMIDIFIER||$||Coverage for up to 100 cu. Ft||Lifetime warranty the most power of any dehumidifier on the market|
|STACK-ON SPAD-100 WIRELESS RECHARGEABLE DEHUMIDIFIER||$||Absorbs excess moisture Can pull moisture from 100 cubic feet||No batteries required Designed with the usability and comfort|
|BROWNING SAFES EVERDRY ELECTRIC DEHUMIDIFIER||$||It removes humidity from the interior of a safe||Cord is removable for installation without the electrical outlet|
|CANNON SAFE SGD57 SILICA GEL DEHUMIDIFIER||$||57 cu feet protection||Indicator system is built to signal when silica gel is saturated and needs reactivating|
Other Useful Accessories?
A gun safe will keep your gun in good condition and away from anyone, but you also have to keep up the maintenance on your gun safe. The accessories will keep your safe in good working order longer than you would expect. There’re many products on the market to make your safe meet your standards whether you need a light inside, or you need an accessory to keep the moisture out of the safe. Keeping the moisture out of your safe is a big thing since the moisture could damage your valuables or pistol. You can also purchase other accessories such as organizers, pistol racks, and alarms. The organisers can be purchased as door organisers or panel organisers so you can organise your small valuables making them easier to retrieve. Check out our gun safe door organizer reviews for more details. Many gun safes do not come with a pistol rack, but you can purchase an aftermarket rack that will make keeping your pistols stored a better experience. It will also make them easier to retrieve in an emergency rather than placing them in the safe in an unorganised matter. While some safes come equipped with alarms other don’t. You should not let it stop you from purchasing the safe you want if it does not have an alarm. You can always buy an alarm for your safe to make it meet your expectations rather than going through the hassle of searching for one with all the features you want. There are also alarms available that will alert you via text or email if someone gains access to your safe.