Last Updated: by
Pocket knife sharpeners are designed to be must-have accessories to the pocket knife. What they’re most useful for is touching up knives quickly and easily to get you to accomplish the task at hand. And they allow you to sharpen anytime, wherever you are in the field.
Whichever one you need depends on how much you use your pocket knife. An everyday carry pocket knife will be used more frequently than a camping knife, so it will require more sharpening.
To this end, we’ve reviewed the best pocket knife sharpeners on the market to help you choose one for your needs.
Table of Contents
- The Best Knife Sharpeners for Pocket Knives Are:
- 1. Spyderco 204MF Tri-Angle Sharpmaker — Best Pocket Knife Sharpener
- 2. Victorinox VN43323 Portable Knife Sharpener — Best Portable Knife Sharpener
- 3. Smith’s 6-Inch Tri-Hone Sharpening System — Best Sharpening Stone for Pocket Knives
- 4. AccuSharp 001C Knife Sharpener — Best Budget Knife Sharpener
- 5. Lansky BladeMedic Pocket Knife Sharpener
- 6. Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal Sharpener
- 7. Work Sharp Pocket Knife Sharpener
- 8. Wamery Pocket Knife Sharpener
- 9. Gatco Edgemate Carbide Sharpener
- How To Choose The Best Knife Sharpener For Pocket Knives
The Best Knife Sharpeners for Pocket Knives Are:
|1. Spyderco 204MF Tri-Angle Sharpmaker||Check Current Price|
|2. Victorinox VN43323 Portable Knife Sharpener||Check Current Price|
|3. Smith's 6-Inch Tri-Hone Sharpening System||Check Current Price|
|4. AccuSharp 001C Knife Sharpener||Check Current Price|
|5. Lansky BladeMedic Pocket Knife Sharpener||Check Current Price|
|6. Smith's PP1 Pocket Pal Sharpener||Check Current Price|
|7. Work Sharp Pocket Knife Sharpener||Check Current Price|
|8. Wamery Pocket Knife Sharpener||Check Current Price|
|9. Gatco Edgemate Carbide Sharpener||Check Current Price|
1. Spyderco 204MF Tri-Angle Sharpmaker — Best Pocket Knife Sharpener
The 204MF Sharpmaker was Spyderco’s initial product before they ventured into the knife market. It is a durable and high-quality sharpener of the same standard as Spyderco knives which are market leaders in performance and excellence.
The Sharpmaker is an easy to use sharpener that anyone can use with just a few minutes of practice. It features a double set of high alumina ceramic stones to refine your edges after sharpening with the pair of medium-grit stones.
Another set of fine white grade stones give the blade a professional touch. The whole process is detailed in the instructional DVD and book that is included in the package.
All the components of this sharpener fit in an ABS base which also contains keyed holes for setting the sharpening angles. When you turn the base over, you can use the flat edges of the stones, laid side by side inside a channel on the base, as a bench stone.
This sharpener also has a set of brass safety rods that protect your hands throughout the sharpening process. The stones are autoclave safe and just require scrubbing with a plastic scouring pad and a powdered abrasive cleaner to be clean.
- Two sets of high alumina ceramic stones
- Pair of medium grit stones
- Set of fine white grade stones
- Set of brass safety rods
- Self-contained ABS plastic base and lid
- Sharpens any type of knife and edge
- Easy to use with instructional DVD and booklet
- Compact ABS base and lid for easy portability
- Doesn’t leave scratches on your knives
- Sharpens a wide range of blades
- Doesn’t work well for badly damaged knives
It’s a little bulky for pocket carrying but it will fit in the backpack keep your knives sharp for whatever you need them for. It is also durable and reliable to give you good value and performance without breaking the bank.
Overall Rating – 4.7/5
2. Victorinox VN43323 Portable Knife Sharpener — Best Portable Knife Sharpener
The VN43323 is a Swiss-made dual knife sharpener that utilizes ceramic discs and a honing stone for sharpening. It is produced by Victorinox, a Swiss company that introduced Swiss Army Knife into the consumer market.
Its success made this family-owned company a top brand, with quality and innovation as their main focus.
This sharpener is a product of innovative design that is functional and at the same time stylish. It is easy to use and it just requires you to pull your knife through the ceramic discs notch. The honing stone which is shaped like a rod will sharpen your knife quickly.
This sharpener is an example of how functionality and ergonomics work together to produce an outstanding product. The sharpening bits housed in a pen-shaped plastic casing with a not so popular plastic clip that breaks easily.
- Fine grit ceramic discs in a V-notch
- Medium grit honing stone for quick sharpening
- Durable pen-shaped plastic case
- Innovative design that is both aesthetic and functional
- Lightweight, compact and easy to carry
- Easy to use and to clean
- Affordable to buy
- Works well with soft steel blades
- Doesn’t require oil or water to sharpen
- The plastic clip is not durable
It has a nice looking pen-shaped design that is lightweight and fits in the pocket. These are all good reasons to get yourself one of these and you can quickly touch -up your pocket knife wherever you are.
Overall Rating – 4.6/5
3. Smith’s 6-Inch Tri-Hone Sharpening System — Best Sharpening Stone for Pocket Knives
The Tri-Hone sharpening system is the perfect size for sharpening pocket knives and other smaller blades. Smith’s is a top brand in the knife sharpening industry with a wide range of sharpening kits for every knife owner at the best prices.
The Tri-Hone system is bulky for pocket carry but it is light and compact for backpacks and it doesn’t take up much space when you set it up.
The Tri-Hone sharpener features three sharpening stones of different coarseness that are set on a rotating triangle block. The molded triangle block has knobs that help to rotate the blocks to access the particular stone that you need to use.
Its base is made with rubber feet to provide grip while sharpening and it also features a v-shaped trough to catch the excess oil that drips for easy cleaning.
The sharpening stones include one 400-grit coarse synthetic stone, one 600-grit medium synthetic stone, and a natural fine Arkansas stone that work together to tune up your pocket knives.
With a bit of practice, the sharpener is easy to use and it comes with a blade guide to help you set the proper edge angle and spend less time sharpening.
The coarse stone is especially helpful as a start to sharpening very dull or badly maintained pocket knives but it will take some minutes to get it to a workable sharpness.
The system has a short learning curve which makes it a good set for beginners who are learning to use sharpening stones.
- Three sharpening stones
- Molded plastic base with rubber feet
- Sharpening angle guide
- Premium honing solution
- Easy to learn stone sharpening system
- Good construction and value for money
- The sturdy base that stays in place during sharpening
- Easy cleaning after use
- Synthetic stones clog up easily
The Tri-Hone is a good sharpening system for maintaining your pocket knives blades at home. If you’re just starting with stones, this system is a great start and you can also get help on how to use the system from this short video.
Overall Rating – 4.5/5
4. AccuSharp 001C Knife Sharpener — Best Budget Knife Sharpener
The AccuSharp is one of the most affordable and easiest to use knife sharpeners you can find on the market. AccuSharp is a brand of knife and blade sharpeners that are made to be effective while giving value for money.
Their sharpeners offer much better performance at a lower cost than other knife sharpeners so much so that they have won several awards for product effectiveness, value, and performance.
The AccuSharp is a versatile and easy to use manual sharpener that can sharpen most blades, including serrated blades, in about 10 seconds without fuss.
It is quite easy to get used to because it doesn’t require bevel setups to use properly. It uses a V-shaped and diamond honed carbide tungsten notch that sharpens blunt edges quickly.
It features an ergonomic handle with a full-length guard to protect your fingers while sharpening. It is compact for easy carrying alongside your pocket knife and very effective to use on any blade.
- Diamond honed tungsten carbide sharpener
- Ergonomic ambidextrous handle
- Full-length guard finger protection
- Easy for beginners to use
- Quick sharpening for all types of blades
- Offers high performance at a low cost
- Quality and durable construction
- Strips off a lot of metal off the blade
This is a good low-cost sharpening tool for pocket knives that need a quick touch up. It doesn’t offer the kind of razor sharpness you’d get with an electric sharpener but it is easy to use and just requires 3-4 strokes to get your knife sharp again.
Overall Rating – 4.7/5
The BladeMedic is a compact pocket knife sharpener that’s also quite popular with knife owners going by its high ratings on Amazon. It is versatile and easy to use but it is also a bit heavier than most of the other sharpeners on this list.
Lansky Sharpeners are a well-known brand that designs and create high-quality sharpeners for everyone, regardless of your experience and the BladeMedic is an example of this vision.
It’s a simple and straight forward sharpening system that doesn’t require any experience and will quickly restore any dull blade into a workable edge in minutes.
It features two v-shaped slots with tungsten carbide and ceramic rods designed to restore your blades and polish to a finished and durable edge quickly.
It also has a serrated sharpening bit and a diamond-coated tapered rod for serrated knives and gut hooks. All the sharpening bits are encased in a solid and durable metal casing with a lanyard hole.
- 600-grit Diamond coated tapered rod
- Serrated knife sharpening bit
- 1000-grit Ceramic sharpening rods
- Tungsten carbide sharpening rod
- Versatile 4-in-1 sharpening kit
- Durable and reliable metal construction
- 4 sharpening bits to work on any type of blade
- Good value for money
- Diamond-coated rod wears out quickly
- It’s heavy
The BladeMedic is well built and sturdy which has also contributed to it being heavy. It will touch up to a useable edge in a few minutes but it only works well on soft metal blades.
Overall Rating – 4.6/5
The Pocket Pal is a lightweight sharpener that fits easily in the pocket. It is a popular sharpener because like the AccuSharp, it is very effective, versatile, and extremely cost-friendly.
Before we review it, let us briefly mention the manufacturer. From humble beginnings in Arkansas, Smith’s has grown to be a market leader in the knives and scissors sharpening industry.
They have one of the broadest lines of sharpeners ranging from simple pocket sharpeners such as the Pocket Pal to precision kits for experienced enthusiasts.
The Pocket Pal features pre-set carbide blades that quickly set the edges for dull or damaged knives to a sharp edge.
A second v-slot features ceramic blades for smooth finishing on plain or serrated edges. And for sharpening the serrated edges and gut hooks, a fold-out diamond-coated tapered rod will do the work with good results.
The sharpening process requires a very small learning curve to use. It doesn’t give the factory perfection but it’s an effective tool for quick touch-ups and it’s also a good one for first-time users.
- Reversible and replaceable carbide and ceramic blades
- 800 grit ceramic blades
- 400 grit tapered diamond coated rod
- Lanyard hole
- Slim, lightweight easily portable sharpener
- Sharpens both plain and serrated edges effectively
- Preset sharpening angles for guaranteed repeatable results
- Multi-functional sharpener for pocket and EDC knives
- Molded finger and thumb grip for a comfortable hold
- Sharpeners wear out after a few months
The Pocket Pal has a moderate price and does quick touch-ups to dull pocket knives. It is very easy to use and works best on softer blades that are easy to sharpen. It’s well worth the price if you don’t mind replacing it a few months down the line.
Overall Rating – 4.4/5
The pocket knife sharpener is Work Sharp’s most portable sharpener in its product line. It is developed after its best selling guided field sharpener but more compact with fewer components and just as effective.
The Work Sharp brand is part of a larger company that designs and produces tools and sharpeners that are simple yet functional.
The pocket knife sharpener is one of the brand’s innovative products that has combined a compact design with all-rounded functionality.
It features a fine grit ceramic rod on one end to finish the knife-edge to the sharpness you need while the medium grit diamond plate on the other end will sharpen plain and serrated edges and even restore damaged edges to razor sharpness.
The design of this sharpener allows for ambidextrous use and has reduced the cleaning to almost zero but for occasionally rinsing the rod to remove the metal build-up.
- 320 grit diamond plate
- Fine ceramic rod
- Angle guides
- Lifetime legacy warranty
- Ambidextrous use
- High-quality construction and durability
- Good performance on plain and serrated edges
- Repairs and restores damaged blades
- Angle guides help to get the blade sharp quickly
- Portable for sharpening on the go
- Diamond plate is too rough for some blades
- Ceramic rod is non-reversible
This is a high-quality sharpener that comes with a lifetime legacy warranty which guarantees replacement for just about anything. That’s a great deal if you asked me.
Overall Rating – 4.5/5
The Wamery sharpener is a convenient sharpener that’s going to fit easily in the pocket. It is a product of Wamery, a family company that has focused on creating practical products that help you achieve tasks quickly and easily.
This sharpener is light and as compact as a ballpoint pen that you can carry everywhere. It features a diamond-coated sharpening rod that is removable and retractable into the handle for safe carrying.
The rod is tapered on one end to sharpen serrated edges while the wider and half rounded end works on plain edges. It also features a grooved edge for maintaining sharpness on fish hooks and the like.
The sharpener is easy to use and will fit well in the hand for control and it allows you to vary the angle at which sharpen the knife. It is convenient in the range of knives it can sharpen and it will give you a workable edge in 90 seconds.
- Diamond-coated and two-sided sharpening rod
- Aluminum handle with adjustable ring and pocket clip
- Convenient for touching up small knives
- Versatile sharpener for all types of edges
- Compact and light for easy everyday carry
- Provides great results in a short time
- Good value for money
- Not very effective on hard blades
It is an easy and effective tool for quick touch-ups on your pocket knives. It is comfortable to carry and has a well-designed look and feel to it. The diamond rod is coarse at 400-grit which works well on dull knives.
Overall Rating – 4.5/5
The Edgemate Carbide sharpener is a compact and easy to use sharpener for pocket knives and other small blades. It’s designed to deliver a quick and safe method for sharpening on the go.
It features a tungsten carbide rod set in a black anodized aluminum handle that offers a firm grip. The carbide sharpening bits are set at 25 degrees and the sharpening process is as simple as swiping the knife a couple of times on the carbide bit. The 400-grit carbide is coarse enough for getting dull blades into shape in a short time.
- Tungsten Carbide sharpening bits set at 25 degrees
- Black anodized aluminum handle
- Quick sharpening for a durable edge
- Pre-set at 25 degrees which works for most knives
- Made of durable and reliable materials
- The flat base allows for better grip and control while sharpening
- Compact and lightweight for easy portability
- Not designed for lefties
As for usability, it is quite easy to use and works well with the majority of blades. However, it is designed for right-handed people and it doesn’t give an option for swapping the parts for lefties. Other than that, it is a good value for your money.
Overall Rating – 4.8/5
How To Choose The Best Knife Sharpener For Pocket Knives
Most pocket knives for everyday use feature soft metal blades that don’t retain their edges for very long. This means that you’ll need to sharpen it every so often, so a portable and easy to use sharpener will make a great accessory to your pocket knife.
While these sharpeners don’t require an experienced hand because they are just touch up tools that maintain a working edge on the knife in between a proper sharpening exercise, it’s necessary to get value for your money from the item you choose.
Here are some great tips to help you with that:
Most of the portable sharpeners reviewed here utilize a combination of tungsten carbide to sharpen and ceramic to polish into a smooth edge.
If you’re going to sharpen a dull blade or damaged blade, a diamond-coated surface will work the metal off to reset the beveled edge to be sharpened on the carbide surface.
This counts for the weight and size of the sharpener. Considering that most pocket knives have small blades, then the sharpener should ideally be just as compact and lightweight for you to carry in the pocket or bag.
At the basic level, the pocket sharpener should at least have two sharpening stages that will sharpen and polish the blade.
The first stage includes restoring the edge angle of the blade while the second stage polishes to make it sharp.
Listening to an experienced hand might make you think that sharpening knives is a complicated process. As we’ve shown with the best pockets sharpeners highlighted here, maintaining the edge on your pocket knife is a simple process that anybody can learn.
These sharpeners will make great companion accessories for your pocket knives and will keep them in good shape for any task you have.
While they’re all great, our top choice is the Spyderco 204MF Tri-Angle Sharpmaker. It is easy to use with just a little practice, and can be used for all types of blades.