Last Updated: by
Let’s face it, few things in life are as fulfilling as wielding a .22LR rifle on the field. A .17 rifle may come close in comparison but the thrill that the .22LR gives you is unparalleled. Now, pair this with a rimfire scope and you are unstoppable.
Rimfire scopes are ever-evolving with dynamic features for optimum performance and precision. Best of all, they come in a wide range of reasonable prices so you can be rest assured to find one within your budget at any time.
It was not easy settling on such a small number amidst tons of great rimfire scopes, but we have taken the time to curate our top seven just to guide you on your next purchase!
Table of Contents
- The Best Rimfire Scopes Are:
- 1. Vortex Optics Crossfire II 2-7×32 Rimfire Riflescope — Best 22LR Scope
- 2. Nikon P-Tactical Rimfire 2-7X32 Matte BDC150
- 3. Bushnell Optics Drop Zone-22 BDC Rimfire Reticle Riflescope
- 4. Simmons Truplex .22 Mag Riflescope (4X32)
- 5. Leupold VX-Freedom Rimfire Riflescope
- 6. BARSKA 3-9×32 Plinker-22 Riflescope
- 7. Winbest 3-7×20 mm 30/30 Reticle Rimfire Scope
- Buying Guide
- Myths About Rimfire Scopes Explained
- Bottom Line
The Best Rimfire Scopes Are:
|1. Vortex Optics Crossfire II 2-7x32 Rimfire Riflescope||Check Current Price|
|2. Nikon P-Tactical Rimfire 2-7X32 Matte BDC150||Check Current Price|
|3. Bushnell Optics Drop Zone-22 BDC Rimfire Reticle Riflescope||Check Current Price|
|4. Simmons Truplex .22 Mag Riflescope (4X32)||Check Current Price|
|5. Leupold VX-Freedom Rimfire Riflescope||Check Current Price|
|6. BARSKA 3-9x32 Plinker-22 Riflescope||Check Current Price|
|7. Winbest 3-7x20 mm 30/30 Reticle Rimfire Scope||Check Current Price|
1. Vortex Optics Crossfire II 2-7×32 Rimfire Riflescope — Best 22LR Scope
We have aptly tagged this device ashe Grandmaster, in reverence to its impressive range, all-purpose features for all hunting applications, and brightness of spectacular variety.
It features long eye relief, lightning fast-focus eyepiece, fully multi-coated lenses and resettable MOA turrets, all embedded in a tough casing comprising of a hard-anodized single-piece aluminum tube of aircraft-grade which is o-ring sealed and nitrogen purged for water and fog-proof performance.
This is the latest edition of this rimfire scope from Vortex Optics, and one that is definitely worth the hype.
- Product Dimensions: 14 x 3 x 3 inches; 1.5 pounds
- Finger adjustable reset turrets with MOA clicks
- Waterproof, shockproof, and fog-proof performance
- Second focal plane (SFP)
- Fully multi-coated lens
- Parallax-free at 50 yards
- All-purpose usage on all hunting applications
- Built to withstand all weather elements
- Crisp and clear view
- Long eye relief and effective eye box
- At full magnification, the optics tend to get hazy
We are impressed with the revolutionary culture of Vortex Optics when it comes to rebranding their rifles and scopes. This rimfire scope is a redefined version that is thrice as effective and worth the extra cash. There’s no doubting its place as the best 22LR scope.
Nikon says it is okay to mount your rimfire scope on any platform with its P-Tactical Rimfire 2-7X32 Matte BDC150. This rimfire scope establishes a whole new level of peak performance and enhanced shooting experiences, proceeding to steal our hearts in the process.
- Weight: 0.96 ounces
- All-metal rugged construction
- BDC 150 Reticle
- Spring-loaded Instant Zero-reset Turrets
- Fully multi-coated optics
- BDC 150 reticle features an asymmetrical design used to estimate range, target size, elevation holdover, and wind-drift regardless of the magnification size
- Easily adjustable elevation and windage turrets
- Reticle may come loose if not fastened constantly
Nikon makes some of the best rimfire scopes out there, and this little wonder is no exception!
This one comes rugged, unrelenting in performance, and with a “lasting” impression (Literally and figuratively). Its Drop Zone 22 LR Bullet Drop Compensating (BDC) reticle ensures that you enjoy optical accuracy throughout the shooting experience.
- Product dimensions are 13.5 × 3.5 × 2.9” ; 1.23 pounds
- Drop Zone-22LR BDC reticle
- 1/4 MOA Target turrets for precise adjustments
- Waterproof with multi-coated optics for breathtaking brightness
- Fast-focus eyepiece
- Made with Aluminum alloy material
- Tremendous brightness with fully multi-coated optics
- Drop Zone 22LR Rimfire BDC Reticle which zeroes in at 50 yards with aiming points out to 125 yards.
- Heavyweight – Not easy to carry around
- Selective of low to extra-low scope rings and would require scope rings medium height at least
The zooming range of this scope is near-perfect, with aiming pointing out to 500 yards, and built to withstand the toughest of weather conditions. The fact that it is on the heavy side is a small downside when compared with its other great qualities.
This brand leverages on the market’s need for sufficient eye relief to create a QTA (Quick Target Acquisition) eyepiece built with ample eye relief for easy and fast target acquisition, amongst other great qualities including its easy adjustment system, clear and sharp imagery, and best of all, a set of rimfire rings to get you mounted in no time.
- Product dimensions: 15.2 x 3.2 x 3 inches; 9.6 ounces
- Fully coated optics
- HydroShield lens coating for clarity in the most unforgiving of weather conditions
- SureGrip rubber surfaces for easy adjusting in any shooting conditions
- Quick Target Acquisition eyepiece
- Mounting is a breeze as it comes with a set of good quality rimfire rings
- Parallax correction pre-set from 50 yards to infinity
- Ultra-clear optics
- Good price point
- Parallax is not easily adjustable
- Elevation and windage adjustments are not firm
- Not versatile
Overall, the Simmons Truplex .22 Mag Riflescope is a thoughtfully designed scope that makes some of its shortcomings a little more forgiving. However, for the price, it makes for a decent purchase.
Leupold is of the opinion that good things come in smaller packages and the Leupold VX-Freedom Rimfire Riflescope is proof of that fact. It singlehandedly balances light transmission, glare reduction, and image contrast and resolution to produce vividness and sharpness in visual quality throughout the shooting experience.
- Product dimensions: 14 x 3 x 2.8 inches; 1.1 pounds
- Twilight light management system to withstand low light conditions
- 100% Waterproof, fogproof, and shockproof
- P5 Turrets – 0.1 Mil dials with an elevation BDC dial for a .223/5.56, 55gr FMJ projectile with a muzzle velocity of 3100 FPS
- Unique low-light management feature for peak performance even in the lowest of light conditions
- Every element of the scope undergoes a thorough testing process before distribution
- You have to pay separately for extra features like dust covers and lens caps as they don’t come with the package.
All Leupold riflescopes are designed with an aim to withstand a minimum of 5,000 impacts on Leupold’s recoil simulation machine called: the Punisher. The force of each impact is thrice the recoil of a .308 rifle. In addition, these scopes are tested with a performance expectation of -40ºF to 160ºF.
Barska is famous for its broad range of riflescopes, and it is no wonder that you can find a selection of rimfire scopes in this category. Built for plinking and hunting, this rimfire scopes offers quality that matches other rimfire scopes of a higher price range.
- Product dimensions: 15 x 3 x 3 inches; 11.5 ounces
- 3-9x Magnification
- 32mm Objective Lens
- 30/30 Reticle
- Fully Coated Optics
- Windage & Elevation Turrets
- Perfect for all plinking and hunting experiences
- Adjustable zoom features that allows for up close connection with the target
- Comes with set of 3/8″ dovetail rings and scope caps
- 25-inch click adjustments to fine-tune wind-age and elevation settings
- Good price point
- Poor scope choice for sighting in
- The rings are not always compatible with your rifle type
- Not suitable for low light conditions
This may not be one of Barska’s top selections, but asides from its rich history for comparison, it is still a worthy buy.
This rimfire scope selection from Winbest is not of the most excellent quality and so is required for the “less serious” shooters, and at a pretty inexpensive price point too. Like its more expensive counterparts, it is also 100% waterproof, fog proof and shockproof.
If you are naturally good at maintaining rimfire scopes in order to stretch their lifespans as long as you can, it would be nice to try out the Winbest 3-7×20 mm 30/30 Reticle Rimfire Scope.
- Waterproof, fog proof and shockproof
- Multi-coated optics for clear images and parallax free at 50 yards
- For shorter, rimfire ranges, it provides a 30/30 reticle
- Comes with standard 3/8″ Dovetail Rings
- Suitable for small game or varmint-type hunting, competitive and recreational target shooting
- Designed specifically for small-bore rifles
- Rimfire rings not compatible with many popular rifle types
We only recommend the Winbest 3-7×20 mm 30/30 Reticle Rimfire Scope because it can perform the basic functions of a rimfire scope without having to break the bank. A good option for Amateur or non-professional shooters
If you are still here, it means that you are eager for a more interesting outdoor life by picking one out of our picks of the best 22LR scopes and mounting it on your .22LR rifle.
However, before you make that purchase, see below a few tips to guide your buying decisions:
As a standard, this is the first thing you should consider when buying any kind of scope. The first point to note: this is never the same for EVERYONE. While some shooters shoot at close range, medium range, or long-range.
The Best Rimfire Scope For A .22LR Rifle Is A .22LR Rifle Dedicated Rimfire Scope
Do not assume that any great scope out there is suitable for your .22LR rifle shooting expeditions. If the rimfire scope does not come recommended for use on the specified rifles, it is bound to affect your shooting performance, thereby defeating the purpose of buying a rimfire scope in the first place.
Adjustable Parallax Features
When the reticle and your target and no longer in sync on the focal plane, you must rely on the rimfire scope’s adjustable parallax feature to set things right again. You may decide to go for Fixed parallax rimfire scopes if your purpose is small-game hunting.
This means that any target less than 50 yards shows up looking distorted and hazy. On the other hand, an adjustable parallax can be set as low as 25 yards and serves a wide range of shooting demands for your rifle, regardless of the type. Also, check that the adjustable parallax feature has side control for easier navigation especially if you shoot long-range.
Does your resolution stay unchanged when you magnify the target or is it lost along the way? The best zoom combination to have in a rimfire scope is one that features both zoom options.
The quality of your reticle is about as important as the quality of the entire rimfire scope. Research on the varied reticle options available and decide which one best suits your needs.
For instance, you don’t want to purchase a rimfire scope with oversized or undersized knobs that make adjusting a tad more difficult.
For hunting, we recommend you search for rimfire scopes with capped turrets. This applies to all kinds of hunting except varmint hunting. If you are a target shooter, go for exposed and easily adjustable turrets.
The quality of your rimfire scope’s focus is a major determinant of your shooting experience. Make sure to try out all focusing mechanisms and settle for the one you are most comfortable with so as to enable peak performance.
A standard .22LR rifle usually weighs about 5 pounds. Now imagine attaching a heavyweight rimfire scope. This puts a dent on your performance, reduces speed and increases your chances of damaging the scope and rifle due to its size.
Ensure that your objective lens size range between 32mm and 40mm as anything below that will mar the object quality. At the same time, lenses larger than 40mm are considered too heavy for your .22LR rifle.
Value for Money
No matter how good-looking your scope is, you must consider your budget while asking yourself; Is this the most effective rimfire scope choice for my money?
Myths About Rimfire Scopes Explained
FALSE: Long Range shooters require high magnifications.
TRUE: While the range of your magnification definitely helps if you are a long-range shooter, it is not the only determining factor. If you are very skilled and familiar with your equipment, you can shoot long-range with even the lowest of magnifications.
FALSE: The larger the main tube, the brighter the scope.
TRUE: The benefit that a larger main tube actually gives you is more adjustment range. However, this tends to affect the quality of your image rather than enhance it.
FALSE: To know a durable rimfire scope, check how heavy it is.
TRUE: As we have explained earlier, the more lightweight a rimfire scope, the better its performance. However, in the case of durability, you cannot tell that a rimfire scope will last by its weight, you can only tell by its brand quality.
FALSE: The brightness of the scope is determined by the size of its objective lens.
TRUE: It is not that simple. The size of the objective lens is actually dependent on its magnification range. Therefore, a low magnification range will use a small diameter objective lens.
It’s 2020 and everyone is raving about rimfire scopes. While some people maintain that this fast-evolving scope makes little or no impact on their regular .22LR rifles, a majority would agree that peak performance on the field is a given when you mount a rimfire scope on a .22LR rifle.
However, it is one thing to know how awesome a rimfire scope, and another thing to experience it. You can only understand and enjoy the amazing benefits of this selection if you take all the factors highlighted above into careful consideration.
Remember, the best tip of all is to seek the advice of a more experienced rimfire shooter before making your buying decision and adding some spice to your outdoor life.
Yet, if you’re gunning for the best .22LR rifle on the market, the Vortex Optics Crossfire II 2-7×32 Rimfire Riflescope stands tall with its unique features and versatility.