The .308 rifle is the most common rifle for hunting, target shooting, military tactical and law enforcement sharpshooting. To achieve success in your hunting activity, getting the best scope for the job is important.
For this, you’ll need to understand the best scope features required for each activity. Here are a few of our top recommendations and some tips to guide you in your purchase.
The Best .308 Rifle Scopes Are:
|1.Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50mm Riflescope|
|Check Current Price|
|2.Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm Riflescope||Check Current Price|
|3.Burris 200261 Ballistic Plex Scout Riflescope 2-7x32mm||Check Current Price|
|4.Nikon ProStaff P3 3-9x40mm BDC Riflescope||Check Current Price|
|5.Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44mm Riflescope||Check Current Price|
1. Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50mm Riflescope
The Athlon Argos BTR 6-24×50 is a reasonably priced riflescope that comes packed with high-end features. Built from 6061-T6 aircraft grade aluminum, this one-piece tube is also heat-treated to give it extra sturdiness and superior mechanical integrity. Its construction also protects the scope from water and has excellent recoil resistance.
The scope’s lenses feature their exclusive XPL coating that protects the lenses from dirt and grease and also gives a clear, bright image in dark conditions.
- Magnification: 6x(low) – 24x(high)
- APMR FFP IR MIL, Glass etched reticle
- Objective Lens Diameter: 50mm
- Tube Diameter: 30mm
- Weight: 29.6oz
- The reticle is etched to the glass for durability and high shock resistance to recoil. Also illuminated to give better visibility in low light environments
- The first focal plane design of the reticle adjusts in size as the scope’s magnification settings are increased or decreased. This design offers a quick target engagement at low power
- Fully multi-coated lenses reduce reflected light and increase transmission of light will give you a brighter image than single coated lenses
- It uses argon inert gas to purge moisture out of the tube to give you better waterproofing and thermal stability
- Some users had issues with getting the scope to maintain zero settings
This scope has 4x magnification which makes it versatile for use at the range or out hunting. It is a one-piece tube that offers superior performance at a great price which makes it one of the best scopes for .308 rifles. Rated at 4.5/5.
2. Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm Riflescope — Best for Hunting
The Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm Riflescope is one of the best scopes to put on a .308 hunting rifle. It features a tough 1″ lightweight main tube which is designed to withstand 3 times the recoil force of a .308 rifle.
The scope uses the revolutionary Twilight Max Light Management System to add you up to 20 extra minutes of visibility. It provides maximum brightness in all colors with an emphasis on the blue and red spectrums for excellent performance in low light conditions and to intensify contrast across its entire field of view.
The exterior lens surfaces are coated in DiamondCoat2 which is an ion-assist coating to provide higher transmission of light and military-grade scratch resistance.
The VX-3i scope is designed and assembled in the USA from 6061-T6 aluminum for durability. It has watertight seals that make it fog proof and will work in the most extreme climatic conditions.
- Magnification: 6.5x(low) – 19.2x(high)
- Fine duplex reticle
- Objective lens diameter: 2.5 inch
- Tube Diameter: 1.18 inch
- Weight 578.0g/ 20.4oz
- Features a fine duplex reticle that has thinner posts and crosshairs that allow for less target coverage which makes it easy to make precision shots on small targets easy
- Features blackened edges to the lenses to reduce diffusion and glare which improves resolution and contrast
- Features precision 1/4MOA finger click adjustments for windage and elevation
- Eye relief becomes shorter when the scope is above 6x magnification
The VX-3i scope is a perfect blend of the right magnification and solid lightweight construction that makes it the best scope for hunters out there. Rating 4.9/5
3. Burris 200261 Ballistic Plex Scout Riflescope 2-7x32mm — Best .308 Long Range Scope
The Burris 200261 Ballistic Plex Scout Riflescope 2-7x32mm is designed for scout rifles and matches the specifications for optics used by scout rifles.
The main feature of a scout rifle scope is the forward mounting arrangement which increases the eye relief distance of 9.2″-12″. This allows you to fire your rifle with both eyes open which will greatly enhance your peripheral vision and allow you to be aware of your surroundings at the same time.
This scope is a slim optic featuring a 1″ tube diameter and an objective lens diameter of 32mm. It features a low to medium magnification which offers a wider field of view and does not distort the binocular vision of keeping both eyes open while shooting.
- Magnification: 2x – 7x zoom
- Ballistic Plex reticle for long-range accuracy
- Clear objective lens diameter: 32mm
- Tube diameter: 1″
- Weight: 13.0oz
- The scope is purged at least 24 times with dry nitrogen that absorbs airborne and residual surface moisture that is evacuated from the scope to make it water and fog proof
- The lens uses high-quality glass that is multi-coated to provide you with superior light transmission and contrast
- The generous eye relief gives you a wide view which helps in easy and quick target acquisition. It also protects you from injury when using a high recoil rifle
- It features a posi-lock system that firmly and securely locks your zero settings into place
- The reticle in non-illuminated which makes it harder for low light target acquisition
This scope is perfect for .308 scout rifles because of its wide field of view and low magnification settings. It is durable, cost-friendly, and also offers high performance for long-range shooting. Rated at 4.5/5.
4. Nikon ProStaff P3 3-9x40mm BDC Riflescope — Best Scope for a .308 Bolt Action Rifle
The Nikon ProStaff P3 3-9x40mm BDC Riflescope is designed to deliver Nikon’s legendary optical performance in tough hunting conditions. The scope uses Nikon’s multi-coated optical system to maximize light transmission and optimal contrast to give you maximum brightness in low light conditions.
Constructed in aluminum, this 1″ scope has an integrated zero-turret into the scope that features an easy spring-loaded adjustment knob. It provides a constant 3.6″ eye relief that protects you from rough kickback from heavy recoil.
Other features include a nitrogen-filled O-ring sealed housing that keeps the scope waterproof and fog proof. It is purged with nitrogen gas for complete reliability against thermal shock and internal fogging.
- Magnification: 3x – 9x zoom
- BDC reticle
- Objective lens outside diameter: 48.8mm
- Tube diameter: 1-inch
- Weight: 15.0oz
- The BDC reticle allows you to hold a true point of aim at a long-range to compensate for bullet drop and at the same time allow a normal sight picture for shorter-range shots
- The Spot on Ballistic Match technology allows you to discover all of the exact aiming points on the reticle
- The positive click windage and elevation adjustments can be reset to zero after sighting in for easy reference when making field adjustments
- Some users noted that the scope does not maintain zero
The scope is well priced and it is rated at 4.6/5. Most users have noted that the scope has excellent clarity and solid construction. It is backed by the strength of Nikon’s global brand for quality, innovation, and performance.
5. Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44mm Riflescope — Best Scope for a .308 Tactical Rifle
The Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44mm Riflescope is a military-grade tactical riflescope that is a favorite for military and law enforcement around the world. It is extremely accurate and easy to use with a high magnification of 3-18x delivered in a compact, lightweight package.
It features Leupold’s Twilight Max HD Light Management System that adds up to 30 minutes extra of shooting light and eliminates 90% more light glare than its competition. This allows you to see clear images in a wider variety of low to bright lighting environments.
The lenses feature HD edge to edge lens clarity and are military standard scratch-resistant with full visible spectrum lens coatings. The tube uses a proprietary gas blend and seals to make it waterproof up to a 33-foot depth.
- Magnification: 3x-18x
- Front Focal TMR MK reticle
- Objective lens diameter: 44mm
- Tube Diameter: 34mm
- Weight: 669.0g
- The scope is designed to withstand the force impact of 3x the recoil of a .308 rifle
- It’s extremely durable and will survive hard use and still maintain its high accuracy
- FFP reticle is ideal for tactical situations because it enables you to estimate the range at all magnification settings
- The reticle magnifies along with the image providing greater accuracy in target acquisition for hunters and target shooters
- The scope manual lacks precise information on how to operate the scope
The Mark 6 riflescope is extremely accurate, compact and lightweight which makes it the top choice for tactical use. It is an expensive scope but it comes with the traditional Leupold lifetime warranty. The combination of size, high performance, and tactical features makes this scope rate highly with users at 4.6/5.
Buying Guide: Tips for Choosing the Best Scope for a .308 Rifle
SFP reticles have been the most common reticles in the market but recently FFP reticles have gained acceptance, especially for long-range shooters.
FFP reticles appear to change with an increase or decrease of magnification which is an advantage in the field as it offers quick engagement with the target at low power.
A high magnification scope offers a wider field of view and at the same time have the ability to show you target details at a great distance.
High magnification scopes are the best all-round because they are versatile for all hunting situations. They can be used for both short and long-range shooting. It is especially convenient in the field to have a high magnification scope that is also compact and lightweight.
Objective Lens Diameter
A large objective lens scope will, for the most time, work better in low light conditions. This is because the large diameter will take in more light than a smaller lens. This will, in turn, give you better vision in low light.
Eye relief is the distance between your eye socket and the beginning of the scope. If you’re using a high power rifle, the distance should be of great concern because it can mean a serious eye injury if it is short.
The best scope for your .308 rifle depends on what shooting activity you’ll want to engage in. We recommend the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24×50 as the best all-round scope for .308 rifles.
It has a solid, high-performance construction and is versatile for both short and long-range shooting activities. It is also very reasonably priced and comes with features that you’d find on a high-end scope.