Finding the best pancake holsters might seem difficult in today’s crowded market, but it’s not as hard as it seems if you know what to look for. This type of holsters has been used for a long time, and people still use it because it’s a comfortable outside the waistband solution for both open and concealed carry.
In the following article, we take a look at the top 10 pancake holsters currently available on the market and we examine the pros and cons of using each model.[go_pricing id=”pancakeholster”]
Pancake Holsters (The Top List)
1. Relentless Tactical Leather Pancake Holster
We start this list by reviewing one of the most popular pancake holsters available on the market. The Relentless Tactical holster is made out of genuine cowhide leather and it has a 3-slot pancake design that will allow you to carry your pistol just as you like it. Thanks to the holster’s versatility, you can wear it on your strong side, behind the hip, or in a cross-draw position.
We were impressed by the holster’s carry capacity. This model is large enough to accommodate full-sized handguns, and you can fit most 1911-style pistols in it without any problems, no matter how long their barrel is. This is a good holster for the Glock 19, and it will fit other similarly-sized models. The only difference between holding a long-barreled and a short-barreled pistol is that the first one will ride lower than the second.
- High-Quality Construction – This holster is made out of genuine leather, and it has a high-quality construction.
- Snug Fit – The holster will fit your 1911 handgun snugly at first, but the leather will loosen up over time.
2. OutBags Side Carry Pancake Holster
The OutBags side carry pancake holster is made out of hand dyed full grain leather. The leather used for the holster’s construction has been cured and hardened, so it will maintain its custom shape no matter how often you use it. This holster was specially designed to hold compact and subcompact handguns, and it will fit a lot of different models.
One of the things we appreciated about this model was that it’s easy to conceal. Thanks to its compact design, the holster is easy to hide underneath a shirt or a jacket when you side carry. Another good thing about this model is that it will fit your pistol nicely and it will keep it from moving.
- Comfortable – Thanks to its compact design, the holster will be comfortable to carry for a long time.
- Needs Some Breaking In – The holster’s leather is somewhat stiff at first, so you will have to break it in a little if you want to draw quickly
3. Barsony Ambidextrous Pancake Holster
The Barsony ambidextrous pancake holster is a good model that comes at a decent price. Unlike the pancake holster’s we reviewed so far, this model is made out of nylon, not leather. One of the advantages of using a nylon holster instead of a leather one is that it’s lighter. This will allow you to wear the holster for an entire day without feeling any discomfort. Nylon holsters are also more resilient to the elements.
As far as this model’s carry capacity is concerned, the holster will fit most full-sized 9 mm and .45 pistols. The holster’s loops are 1 ¾” wide, and they will fit on most CCW belts.
- Low Profile – This holster has a low profile, so it shouldn’t be difficult to conceal even in the warm season
- Stiff Thumb Break – This model uses a thumb break to secure your pistol. Unfortunately, the thumb break is stiff and it will slow down your draw time.
4. TEGE Polymer Belt Holster
The TEGE holster is made out of a tough polymer that will withstand anything you put it through. This model is specially designed to fit the most popular Glock models and similarly-styled handguns. Unfortunately, the holster will not accommodate the Glock 19 Gen 5, but it will hold the Gen 4 comfortably.
One of the things we liked about this model is that it comes with an auto-lock system that ensures your gun won’t move or wobble when it’s holstered. Drawing the gun is very comfortable, and you can press the release button using a single finger, which means you will also be able to draw your pistol quickly.
- Adjustable Paddle Cant – This holster comes with an adjustable paddle cant, so you can incline your pistol by up to 30 degrees.
- Difficult To Conceal – This holster can stand out underneath your clothes, so it’s difficult to conceal.
5. Gould & Goodrich Three Slot Holster
We were impressed by this holster’s construction. The leather has a great quality, but it’s not too thick, so it won’t be heavy. The stitching is nice and precise, and the holster comes with three slots, so you can either carry it with a forward cant or a high ride. The holster’s slots are wide, so it would be better if you would wear it with tactical pants instead of regular jeans or slacks.
The holster will fit a lot of gun models, including the Glock 19 and similarly-sized units.
- Slim Design – This model has a slim design, so it’s rather easy to conceal underneath clothing
- Needs Time To Loosen – Even though the holster’s leather is not too thick, you will have to have patience with it to loosen up.
6. Bulldog Cases Black Leather Holster
The Bulldog Cases pancake holster is a great budget choice for those who are looking for a leather holster but don’t want to break the bank to buy one. Despite its low price, this model is made out of high-quality leather that’s been tanned by hand.
One of the things we liked about this model is that it has a generous design. This will make the holster wide enough to accommodate large frame autos, including all the auto Glocks, the M&P 40, and similarly-sized models.
The holster comes with only two slots, so you won’t be able to change the pistol’s inclination. Thus, the holster is only suitable for those who like to carry their handguns in the high ride CCW position.
- Fits Great – This model will fit your full-sized auto handgun so well, you might think it’s tailor-fitted instead of a generic model
- Doesn’t Cover The Trigger – This holster will fit most full-sized autos, but it might not cover the trigger of some models. This might be problematic for some people
7. Barsony Leather Pancake Holster
The Barsony leather pancake holster is a small and slim model that will hold most compact handguns. This holster is made out of genuine cowhide, and its slim design will keep the pistol close to your body, allowing you to conceal it with ease, even if you wear the holster during the warm season.
We liked that this holster’s leather has a pleasant feel to it and that it will maintain its form after you shape it for your gun. The holster’s stitching has a high-quality, and it will help the holster keep your pistol secure as you move.
- Keeps Shape Well – The holster will maintain its shape well, securing your pistol and preventing it from moving
- Needs Shaping – You will need to shape the holster to fit your gun properly. To do this, you will need to put it into boiling water and dry it out
8. Safariland 328 Pancake Holster
The Safariland pancake holster is a good model that comes with three slots, allowing you to choose the cant position you’re most comfortable with. Depending on your preference, you can choose between the high rise and the forward cant CCW position.
One of the things we liked about this model is that it will keep your pistol firmly in place. The holster comes with a thumb break that will keep your handgun from wobbling as you move. However, the thumb strap is easy to remove using a single finger, so you will still be able to draw the pistol quickly when you have to.
The holster will fit the Glocks 17, 22, 31, and similarly-sized models.
- Suede Lining – The holster comes with a suede lining that will protect your handgun from scratches
- Narrow Slots – The holster should fit a 1 ¾ belt, but its slots might need some loosening up to do so.
9. Huston Gun Holsters Pancake Tactical Holster
The Huston Gun Holders is a good pancake holster that comes at a decent price. This model is made out of ecological leather that’s nice to the touch and it has a suede interior that will protect your handgun from scratches. The eco leather is resilient to the elements and it’s even waterproof, so it should last for a long time.
We liked that this model’s design allows you to choose between multiple CCW positions to carry your handgun. The holster can be used with good results both as an IWB and OWB model, and thanks to its slim design you will be able to conceal it with relative ease. This unit is large enough to accommodate most popular Glocks and other similarly-sized handguns.
- Comfortable – This holster is very comfortable to wear, so you can carry your handgun for a whole day without experiencing any discomfort
- Leather Back – The holster has a leather back, so it can stick to your skin in the warm season
10. DeSantis Pro Stealth Pancake Holster
The DeSantis Pro Stealth is a small and comfortable pancake holster that comes at a decent price. This model is made out of black nylon and its back is padded for a more comfortable carry. The holster comes with a powder-coated spring that will fit any 1 ¾” leather or tactical belt. The clip can be removed and reinstalled on the other side of the holster, making this model suitable for an ambidextrous carry.
The holster’s ballistic nylon has a high quality, and its edges won’t bite into your skin. The holster is large enough to accommodate most compact handguns without adding noticeable bulk to your waistline
- Spare Mag – The holster can accommodate an extra magazine if you ever need one.
- Thumb Strap Is Optional – This holster can be fitted with a thumb strap, but only if you pay extra for it.
Best Pancake Holsters Comparison Chart
|Relentless Tactical Leather Pancake Holster||Genuine cowhide leather||3-slot design||Most 1911-style pistols||Left & Right|
|OutBags Side Carry Pancake Holster||Hand dyed full grain leather||Compact design||S&W Shield 9mm, .40S&W||Left & Right|
|Barsony Ambidextrous Pancake Holster||Nylon||6 position||Most full-sized 9 mm and .45 pistols||Left & Right|
|TEGE Polymer Belt Holster||Tough polymer||Auto lock Design||Most popular Glock models and similarly-styled handguns||Right|
|Gould & Goodrich Three Slot Holster||Genuine leather||Three Slot Design||a lot of gun models, including the Glock 19 and similarly-sized units||Right|
|Bulldog Cases Black Leather Holster||High-quality leather||Unique generous design||All Glocks frames, Ruger P85, M&P40, XD etc.||Right|
|Barsony Leather Pancake Holster||Genuine cowhide||Slim design||380 and Small 9mm 40 45||Left & Right|
|Safariland 328 Pancake Holster||High Quality Leather||Top draw design||Glocks 17, 22, 31, and similarly-sized||Right|
|Huston Gun Holsters Pancake Tactical Holster||Ecological leather||Multiple CCW Positions Design||Glock 19 23 32 26 27 33 30 | M&P Shield, XDs, Taurus PT111||Right|
|DeSantis Pro Stealth Pancake Holster||Black nylon||Powder-coated spring Design||Diamondback DB380/KAHR P380/Keltec P3AT/Ruger LCP/Sig P238/S and W Bodyguard .380||Left & Right|
As you could see, finding the best pancake holsters is not really that difficult if you know what to look for as an alternative concealed carry holster. The first thing you should make sure of is that the holster is large enough to accommodate your handgun. Moreover, you should make sure the holster is not too large for your handgun, otherwise, you might be surprised to discover that your pistol wobbles as you move. Last but not least, you should make sure the holster can be worn as you like it to. Everyone has a favorite carry position, but not every holster can provide all of them.