Looking for a high-quality shotgun for all your hunting needs? I know I was! When hunting for game birds such as wild turkey, I was always looking for reliability and accuracy, which I finally found with the Stoeger M3000 — my perfect choice!
Soon, I was hunting turkey, waterfowl as well as other game. I have found the M3000 to be rugged and practical in all aspects!
However, deciding to buy the M3000 was quite difficult. For one, there were not a lot of Stoeger M3000 reviews. I could not decide how it would perform in real life. I took a chance and luck favored me. However, it may not be as kind to you!
And so, here we are! I have decided to take matters into my own hands, and review it for you to help you make an informed decision.
How to Buy a Shotgun
A shotgun is the weapon of choice for hunters and enthusiasts. The shotgun uses shells filled with various small pellets called shots or a single pellet called slug. The spread-out shot allows for better accuracy as you don’t have to aim too hard. It can help you learn and train on the go.
Who Should Buy It?
Basically, the shotgun is perfectly suited for beginners or those who can’t be bothered to shoot straight. They are mostly better for shooting at close range and offer deep penetration at this range. However, the spread might not be too large. You can even use it for self-defense and law enforcement as it does not result in too much collateral damage.
Factors to Consider
Following are the factors you need to take care of when buying a shotgun:
- Gauge is a term used to define the diameter of the barrel or the size of the shell. The most popular gauges used in a shotgun are 12 and 20 gauge. Some other popular gauges include 410 bores, 28, 16, and 10 gauges.
- Most shotguns are available with pump action, semi-automation, and double-barreled actions. Choose one according to the price and reliability.
- Barrel Length. Longer barrels are more preferred for hunting while the shorter barrels are suited for home-defense and law enforcement.
- Size, Weight, and Choose a shotgun that is easier for you to handle. If the gun is too heavy, you might not be able to lift it up for too long.
Presenting the Stoeger M3000
The Stoeger M3000 might not be as popular as the M3500; however, it definitely holds its own when it comes to accuracy and reliability. With semi-automatic action, the M3000 is a 12gauge shotgun that uses an Inertia Driven technology.
The technology not only grants reliability and faster action but also keeps the gun clean, leading to fewer maintenance problems. Furthermore, you’ll find that the M3000 can easily hold up to 3-inch magnums without any need of adjustment.
In addition, the Stoeger is available in a wide variety of finishes, barrel lengths, and weights. This allows you to choose one that fits your needs the best. Also included is a ventilated fiber optic front sight that allows you to line up your target efficiently.
The longer barrel versions are best suited to hunters while self-defense users can easily get by with the shorter barrels. In my opinion, the Stoeger M3000 leans more toward catering hunters.
- Keeps the gun clean with less need of frequent maintenance
- Available in a wide variety of finishes, weights and barrel lengths
- Fast-acting mechanism
- Includes a line sight to help you achieve better accuracy
- A slim forend
- You might need to use a different forend for slug versions
- Does not shoot 3.5-inch ammo
Features and Benefits
The M3000 includes the following features and benefits:
Inertia Driven Technology
The M3000 makes use of the world’s most reliable operating system, the inertia-driven technology. Technology makes the shotgun cycle fast. Basically, it features a patented inertia bolt assembly as well as a rotating locking head.
In addition, the system uses inertia to shoot the shell, eject the remnants and replace it with a new shell almost instantly. This technology is better than the gas driven one as it involves no gas cylinders and includes fewer moving parts. Moreover, since no gas is used, the system tends to be cleaner and safer.
As I already mentioned, the M3000 is quite versatile. Not only is it available in a wide variety of skins, but also in various weights and barrel lengths. The skins include various shades of black with different textures as well as a few camouflage options. Furthermore, the M3000 is actually divided into a number of different series.
This includes the Original, Compact, Sporting, Defense and Freedom Series. All in all, the M3000 is available in barrel lengths of 18.5 inches to 30 inches. On the other hand, it can weigh anywhere from 6.6lbs. to 7.5lbs.
Red Bar Sight
Also included is a fiber-optic front sight situated at the end of the barrel. What’s special about this sight is that gathers light from its surrounding and absorbs it. This makes it easier to see the front sight in low-light to even no-light situations. That is the reason why they are so often used on defense weapons.
Furthermore, they are sturdy and strong. They can last through thousands of shots and can help you hunt game accurately.
Adjustable Shim Kit
The Shim kit included with the Stoeger lets you adjust the stock for cast as well as drop. This ultimately helps beginners and newbies get familiar with the stock. Moreover, the change allows you to customize the sighting plane according to your shooting style as well as your physical build.
Overall, I find that the build of the Stoeger is not too impressive. Besides a few premium and exclusive features, most of the components are quite ordinary. However, this doesn’t mean that the M3000 sacrifices reliability or performance.
Instead, it uses ordinary pads, grips, triggers etc. while making sure that the reliability of the gun is not compromised. Perhaps this is why the Stoeger is so inexpensive yet features an impressive performance.
Some of the more notable features include the choke system. Furthermore, the tapped barrel ensures that you can easily swap the choke with another on the go. Also, the gun includes three other options for the choke. This includes a cylinder, modified as well as a full turkey choke. Lastly, it comes with a choke wrench.
Control and Performance
The 3-inch chamber shotgun offers you amazing control and handling. You can use either the 2.75 and 3 inches rounds easily. In contrast, other shotguns designed for heavier loads rarely function as well as the M3000 with lighter loads.
In addition, the Stoeger can easily handle all kinds of stress and remains unaffected by water or muck. So, you can use them in all kinds of weathers and conditions.
Pros and Cons
Following are the major benefits and drawbacks of the Stoeger M3000:
- Fast Cycling. The inertia driven mechanism allows the rounds to be fired, ejected and replaced within seconds. This way you can hunt as much as you like and shoot your target one shot after the other.
- Clean Action. Since this gun does not use any gas driven system, it is easier to clean. This means you won’t have to clean the gun too frequently. In addition, it won’t jam too quickly either.
- Versatility. The M3000 shotgun is quite versatile. You can use any type of barrel length, weight or finish. You can also choose from 2.75–3 inches of magnum loads. Furthermore, many features on the gun are customizable including the stock and the sight.
- Quick Target Acquisition The red bar sight gathers light so that you can clearly see the target and aim at it. Even in low-light conditions.
- Slim Forend. The slim forend makes it easier to hold onto the gun for long periods of time. With broader ends, you might end up feeling uncomfortable if your hands cannot fully wrap around the forend.
- Cannot handle larger loads. For those hunters looking to shoot bigger game such as deer or bear, the Stoeger falls short. The largest load it can handle is about 3inches. So, you cannot use it with 5-inch magnum loads.
- You might need to replace the red bar sight with a green or blue one if you’re hunting waterfowl. These animals are already red in color, which can make it harder to target them with a red bar sight.
General User Impressions
Most users found the Stoeger to be a very reliable yet affordable option. Most users noted how well it performed at hunting game birds. Also, they loved the versatile options the M3000 offered. They remarked about how it’s the perfect training tool for most beginners.
Furthermore, they revealed in the cleaner mechanism and noted that no fouling ever occurred. After the initial breaking in period, you’ll find that the gun is quite easy to use. Moreover, buyers liked that the gun was lightweight and did not strain their shoulders too much, making it possible to carry some additional gear as well.
In my opinion, Stoeger is an absolute winner. Not only is it affordable, but it is reliable as well as accurate. Of course, it can be a little hard to hunt bigger game. However, I believe that this is meant for beginners and not experts. It is a great gun to train on. Its rugged and practical operation makes it even more admirable.
Lastly, what I absolutely loved was the versatility and the options it gave you. You can choose and fully customize the gun according to your needs.
Q: Can you use it with scopes or other accessories?
A: Yes. In fact, the receiver of the shotgun is tapped and drilled to receive all kinds of scopes and other accessories.
Q: Is there a lot of recoil on the gun?
A: The recoil is quite standard. It’s not too heavy that it jumps your shoulder too much. However, if you wish to further reduce the recoil, you can easily do so with a 13-oz. mercury recoil reducer.
Q: Does it come pre-assembled?
A: No, the package arrives in two parts, including stock or for end unit and a barrel unit. However, the assembly process is simple and is detailed in the manual.
Q: Can I manually cycle the shots?
A: Yes, you can substitute and cycle the shots manually using a cartridge lever.
At the end of the M3000 review, I hope you can see why I’m fascinated with the Stoeger. It’s affordable, practical and rugged. Furthermore, it tends to be perfect for beginners or those who are looking to train. It might have its cons, but the benefits clearly outweigh them.
The sheer number of options will always ensure that the Stoeger fits you and your style perfectly! So, ready to hunt ducks? Get the Stoeger M3000 now!
Did you enjoy reading this article? Check out these other posts: