It doesn’t matter if you have the best compound bow for the money, it won’t be worth it if you can’t find good arrows to go with it. What makes a suitable arrow though? Are different ones better for certain tasks? After we review some of the best arrows for compound bows you can buy in 2019, we’ll also take a look at what makes an arrow good.
Our Top Pick
If you’re short on time, review-wise, Carbon Express Maxima Hunter are our top pick. We recommend it as the best arrow for a compound bow. If you want to take down your prey at a considerably long range, the Maxima Hunter would be an ideal arrow to use.
It is one of the fastest and most efficient camo hunting arrows you can purchase in 2019. It utilizes weight-forward technology, where the arrow front is heavier than the rear, resulting in tighter groupings.
Top Five Best Arrows for Compound Bows Reviews
Maxima Hunter arrows from Carbon Express are one of the fastest and most accurate camo hunting arrows available on the market today.
- Straightness: ± 0.0025 inches
- Weight tolerance: ± 1.0 grain
- Spine selection tolerance: ± 0.0025 inches
- Patented BuffTuff Plus carbon weave
- Dual Spine Weight Forward
- Shafts include: Bull Dog nock collar, nock, and inserts
These are ideal for hunters looking to deal a significant blow to their prey from a considerable distance. They feature dual-spine construction and built-in weight forward technology, meaning the front of the arrow is somewhat denser than its rear.
This design helps to create tighter groupings. At least 65 percent of the shaft features a long-lasting and sleek Mossy Oak finish. Maxima Hunter arrows are also equipped with bright red colored Blazer vanes, so you can easily see them when hunting.
- Package includes six arrows
- Lightweight and exceptionally accurate
- Ideal for long range shooting
- Remarkably straight
- Feature double spine
- Penetrates the target deeply
- Quite pricey
These are on the spendy side, but if you want something quick and heavy-hitting for hunting, Maxima Hunter arrows should be at the top of your list.
If you are looking for versatility, durability, strength, and stability in one package, you would want to try Gold Tip’s Hunter XT arrows. Built with Gold Tip’s Smart Carbon Technology, the Hunter XT is one you can expect to serve you for the rest of your life.
- Weight Tolerance: +/- 2 grains
- Straightness Tolerance: +/- 0.003 inches
- 100% Smart Carbon Technology
- Comes with GT Series nock and Accu-Lite insert
This is an all-rounded arrow. It will give you the right balance of speed, power, and accuracy if you use it with the right compound bow.
It is remarkably straight for increased efficiency. It has an impressive weight tolerance of ± 0.2 grains and a straightness tolerance of ± 0.003 inches. Another remarkable feature of the Hunter XT is that they come pre-installed with popular 2-inch Raptor fletching vanes.
While designed for hunting, Gold Tip Hunter XT arrows can also offer a great experience in target practice.
- Balanced performance
- Reasonably priced for the quality
- Remarkably straight
- Amazing quality control
- The pre-installed fletching may need adjusting
As far as multi-use arrows go, these are hard to top. They are both versatile and durable.
If you are looking for a high-strength arrow built for faster, flatter shooting, you may want to choose Easton Sports Company’s 019330 Bloodline Arrow.
- Spine Span: 0.400 inches
- Shaft Weight: 7.7 Grains
- Weight Tolerance: ± 0.2 Grains
- Straightness Tolerance: ± 0.003 inches
- Comes with HP Inserts
- Package includes six shafts
Bloodline arrows are designed to deliver consistency when you’re trying to hit and take down your target. These arrows are made of lightweight carbon fiber to promote speed so that you can quickly stop your prey dead in its tracks.
These have been tested and proven to be within ± 0.2 grains of weight and ± 0.003 inches for straightness. This level of consistency plays a significant role in enhancing your accuracy when making a shot.
- Great speed
- Durable carbon nanotube fiber construction
- Pre-installed nocks
- Excessive penetration when used in target practice
These are not a practice arrow, as all you’re going to do is tear up your target, but when it comes down to the hunt, they’re an excellent pick.
Designed for deer hunting, Carbon Express Maxima Red Fletched arrows are made from hi-tech carbon material. This material makes the arrow fly faster, longer, and steadily straight. As a result, you can deal a devastating blow on your target.
- Straightness Tolerance: ± 0.0025 inches
- Weight Tolerance: ± 1.0 grains
- Dynamic Spine Control
- Three 2-inch blazer vane fletching
- Comes with LAUNCHPAD Precision Nock and insert
- Package includes six
The patented hi-tech carbon construction of Maxima RED Fletched arrows promotes efficient flying of the broadheads. The arrows feature bulldog nock collars and a Launchpad precision nock for better control and accuracy whenever you use them.
They come with stiffer ends, which help to minimize the flexing of the arrow in flight. They are designed to deliver a broadhead with pinpoint accuracy whenever you take a shot. They have been tested and proven to have maximum straightness of 0.0001 inches.
- Minimal flexing, thanks to stiffer ends
- Exceptionally straight and long-range flight
- Improved accuracy
- Vane color options could be different from what’s indicated on the package
- You need to purchase arrow tips separately.
These are the arrows of a sure-shot marksman who doesn’t want his target lost to an inaccurate arrow.
You don’t have to invest in the more expensive carbon shafted arrows to enjoy great performance. Made from aluminum alloy, Easton Game Getter XX75 arrows are relatively inexpensive but deliver virtually the same performance you would get from their carbon counterparts.
- Straightness Tolerance: +/- 0.003 inches
- Weight Tolerance: +/- 1 1/4%
- 7075-T9 aluminum alloy construction
- Comes with uni-bushings, nocks, and inserts
- Pre-installed 4-inch vane fletching
These economical arrows are available in different sizes so they can suit all sizes of hunters. Another remarkable feature is that they come already fitted with universal bushings, inserts, and nocks.
- Available in a variety of sizes
- Comes with universal bushings, inserts, and nocks
- Can bend if they hit hard objects
- Some prep may be necessary before use
These are an excellent choice for practice sessions or those on a tight budget.
Buying Guide for The Best Compound Bow Arrows
Alright, on to things to consider when shopping for the best arrows for a compound bow. Here’s are some of the most critical considerations:
The Type of Shaft
The shaft of an arrow can be made of different materials. The most common materials are wood, aluminum, and carbon, but which is the best type of shaft?
- Wood – For a modern compound bow, a wood shafted arrow may not be the best choice. Besides being exceptionally heavy, these are also very slow. They are also more difficult to produce within the tight tolerances required when hunting with a compound bow.
- Aluminum – Aluminum shafted arrows are popular among bow hunters for their light weight, strength, and affordability. They work well with high-speed compound bows as they can transfer the bow energy with greater efficiency compared to other arrows types.
- Carbon – Most of the bow hunters today prefer carbon-shafted arrows. They are one of the lightest arrows on the market, and they hold tighter tolerances compared to other arrow types, including aluminum. This leads to higher speeds, exceptional accuracy, and better penetration.
Learn more about arrows in this video:
Picking the right arrow length is important. The wrong length might affect the performance of your bow. So, how do you determine the right arrow length?
Just take your draw length and add between a half and one inch to determine the right arrow length. That means if your draw length is 27 inches, you’ll need to purchase those with length not exceeding 28 inches. If you are a newbie then check this article on the compound bow for beginners and the guidelines for choosing an arrow and length.
The choice of arrow weight will depend largely on the purpose of the arrows. If you’re looking for the best target shooting arrows for a compound bow, you should choose ones with an overall weight of 5 to 6 grain per pound of draw weight. If you have a 50-pound draw weight compound bow, for example, you should go for arrows with an overall weight of 250 to 300 grain.
Conversely, if your arrows are for hunting, you would want to choose arrows with an overall weight of 6 to 8 grain for every pound of draw weight. So the best arrow for a 70-lb compound bow draw weight, 420 to 560 grain.
Safety is another essential factor to consider when shopping for the best arrows for a compound bow. Be sure to choose arrows that match the power of your compound bow. Otherwise, it will not only be difficult to take down your targeted prey, but it can also cause severe injury.
Also, make sure the spine rating of the arrows you choose match your bow’s spine rating. You should ensure that your arrow is not shorter than your bow’s draw length. Excessively short arrows can also increase the risk of injury.
Now that you know what to look for when shopping for arrows, let’s explore some of the best arrows for compound bows available on the market today.
Choosing the best arrows for your compound bow can be a challenging task, especially for a beginner, but now that you’re armed with the proper knowledge and a few starting points, the process should be much easier — and that was the goal of this review.
Now that you know enough about the arrows, learn more about choosing a good bowstring.